How do I clear /tmp?

lakelover

I can't do an upgrade install because there's no room on the disk. WOW! I should've known. So, I'm going to take some room from the hda7 partition (/home) and give it to hda5 (/). If I can just get back to KDE perhaps I can figure out what going on through MCC where I can get that llog window out of the way. For now, I'm watching the Super Bowl.

Okay, I'm back. Here's what I found when I did an error check on hda5, using ParitionMagic: "error 1201 -- ext2 superblock contains illegal information." I did a bit of google searching and found a number of reference but no solutions. Any ideas?

Jerry

Edited by lakelover

I have the partitions so screwed up now, I think the only solution is to wipe them and start over. If I do that however, I'll probably switch back to XP. Sorry to say that but I've invested all the time I can trying to get Mandriva to behave. I tried using e2fsck to repair the problem and I think I just corrupted things more. If you have any thoughts let me know.

Jerry

No need for apologies when switching back to XP. If it works for you at the moment then use it. You can still start with Linux someday later, when you have enough time and patience.

One note: usually it is not the Operating system that screws up things but the person in front of it, in this case it was your friend. I still wonder what he did to your machine that it got screwed up that much.... :juggle:

One note: usually it is not the Operating system that screws up things but the person in front of it, in this case it was your friend. I still wonder what he did to your machine that it got screwed up that much.... :juggle:

I'm sure you're right about the "person in front of it." It wasn't a friend who worked on my computer. I took it to a computer shop in a nearby town (I live in the boonies). I got socked $91 for an hour's work rebulding the boot loader. I was under the gun on a project and needed my computer running, otherwise I would never paid to have somebody screw it up. He did get the boot loader working and, as I said, he freed up something like 5 gb of space. I'd sure like to know what filled it back up in one day.

Jerry

To rebuild your bootloader (next time) you can pop in your 2006 disk and reboot, when the gui comes up hit F1, at the prompt type RESCUE after that you will gat an option to reload the bootloader. then take out the cd and reboot. that's it and it will save you $91