Kind of stumped

FX

Well never really had this problem before, but here it goes.

I just bought a new HP Media Center with a 300 gig drive. So far the partitions are as followed.....

C: Free space 249 gigs. D: HP_Recovery which is a Fat32 and has 1.05 gigs free.

Now when I run Partition Magic 8 it recommends that I partition after C, but that only gives me 7.8 megs of space, which is listed on PM as unallocated space. I get get to the C drive to take some from there but I have to do it so that the space is before the C drive and after the D. Here is what PM say when I want to create a new partition and where it suggest...

Before D: HP_Recovery.

After D: HP_Recover but before C: HP_Pavillion

After C: HP_Pavillion.

The last one is recommended but I'm only stuck with 7.8 megs for max. size, also the same for the first choice. If I use the second choice I get the benefit of using enough disk space, but before I continue I get a warning....

"If windows 95, 98(pre-SE) or NT 4.0 is installed on one of the clicked partitions being moved, please note that operating systems may not be bootable if they move beyond the boot code boundry for that O.S."

I'd like to create about 40 gigs for linux if possible, but I'd hat to hose up the MS part of the the system.

You should be able to shrink that C drive down with no issues. Ignore what PM 8 tells you, right click on that large C drive and choose resize. That should work. You can create any partitions you want to, as long as you keep that recovery partition (if you ever want to reinstall Windows, that is)

Partition Magic always mentions about the 1024 boundary. This was because in the days of 540MB hard disks, you never crossed this boundary. Nowadays it's possible on every single drive, because they are way larger. The BIOS limited you to what you could see, and therefore, if the boot section wasn't within the 1024 boundary, then the system wouldn't boot, because it couldn't find it, because the BIOS couldn't see beyond the 1024 boundary.

BIOS's now address the disk using LBA instead, and the 1024 boundary is never a problem anymore.

Partition Magic is the worst thing that can happen to your computer.

The best partition manager by far is V-COM Partition Commander, which on top of everything else is FREE, although it's license claims it's commercial.

If the forum moderators approve, I can explain why/how it is free...

Well I got Ubuntu installed. I had to do a chkdsk /f and then reboot because the the small unallocated space between the c and d drives.

Only thing that sucks is my keyboard doesn't fully work. The sound keys work, but the "internet" "email", "eject" keys don't work. :(

Was pleasantly surprised that the keyboard and mouse worked at all though seeing as they are both wireless.

One other thing too is if I do a "lspic" the wireless card shows up at Athero's, but the madwifi drivers aren't picking it up. I know that Ubuntu will install those on install because my old laptop had one also and I never had to hook up the cat5 cable to get internet. <shrug>

Ok here is another problem....

My vid card shares memory from the system. Its only a 64 meg card and the rest of the 256 it gets from the system. When I run glxgears i only get like 800 or so frames per second.

I don't think that linux is using the full memory of the card.

Any suggestions????