Mandriva stops at startup

Guest piotrek

Guest piotrek

Few days ago I installed Mandriva 2006.0, configured internet connection (ADSL, USB Sagem 800 modem) and everything seemed to work fine. But after some time I started to have similar problem as described in this post. Then I tried to turn off automatic start of ppp0 at computer startup, and after that this program hanged and I had to kill it. But now it is even worse, because at startup it ends on "Initializig eth0 interface" (don't know exactly how it's in English, because I have another language version) and cannot go any further, so I can't start system at all. Please anybody tell me, how can I solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Does it hang forever? How long to you wait before proceeding? My laptop is wireless, and it cannot connect until after booting, of course. Mandriva takes a long time to figure out that eth0 is not connected to anything! I just let it go, and it eventually continues. I'd say, as long as 3 minutes total boot time!

For bypassing the initialization of eth0 at startup, press ctrl + c or hit "i" at initila system startup for going into interactive mode and skipping the eth0 configuration manually.

Guest piotrek

Thanks for replies, but... I think this is not the point and doesn't solve the problem. I managed to start computer after waiting for about 5 min, and configured again ASDL connection, then everything was OK, my connection worked. But I wanted to turn off automatic start of ppp0 (through Configure connection), and then everything went wrong. After that connection to internet was impossible, so again I turned on automatic start. After next reboot I waited for ppp0 interface to initialize for 5 min and it failed, and I also cannot connect through the icon in system tray. Now I have no internet connection in Mandriva and don't know what to do. :cry:

Someone else was having problems with this, see the link here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=30438&hl=

maybe this post will help to solve the problem your getting, which seems to be the same!

Guest piotrek
So it is :P

Piotrek did you try the solution in here, and did it help any?

Yes, I've read this topic but it didn't help. At present state, Initializing of ppp0 interface at startup lasts about 5 min and finally fails with many error messages and I'm also not able to connect after graphic interface is loaded. (Unfortunately I also delete file ifcfg-ppp0 before I read to not do this if I'm using dialup, but I think this doesn't realy matter. Or maybe I am wrong?)

Please, :help:

Probably the best thing is not to have it initialise at startup, but allow it to be brought up manually. That way it won't hang the machine for five minutes on startup.

I think the last post kind of explained what needed to be done using adsl-startp and adsl-stop instead of configuring through mcc/Configure Your Computer.

Guest piotrek

OK, but what can I do to use adsl-start and adsl-stop? When I type these commands in console, bash says me "command not found". Have I to install something?

And you wrote: "I think your system is configured to bring up ppp each time you start. I would reconfigure your ethernet connection. Make sure you choose LAN. Do not choose ADSL or PPP, since this will use a PPP type connection to connect to the internet."

So, if I have USB modem (not a router afaik), should I chose LAN connection anyway?

Sorry for my stupid questions, I'm total newbie to linux.

And there is one another issue: when recently I had ppp0 connection at startup, it generated many errors like this:

Connect ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/19
CHAP authorization failed
Connection terminated
Connect ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/20
CHAP authorization failed
Connection terminated
and so on

When I turned automatic connection, it was impossible to connect at all.

Thanks.

OK, but what can I do to use adsl-start and adsl-stop? When I type these commands in console, bash says me "command not found". Have I to install something? 

Before you have to remove the config in Control Center then do adsl-setup (in root..)...Now you can do adsl-start and so on.

As yours is a USB modem, your options would be using the ppp type, as the router would normally deal with username/password authentication, rather than linux.

The modem won't have this option. However, try what lando said, su and supply root password when prompted and then run adsl-setup. The command "su" allows you to get root privileges when logged on as a normal user.

Guest piotrek

I followed your and Lando's advice (logged on as root, and so on) but unfortunatetly this didn's help. It seems that I don't have such command in my system as adsl-setup. What is worse, now my connection doesn't work at all, even during startup. Is there any way to fix it? Even connection at startup will make me happy.