Port Scan

linux_trojan

I am using wi fi at a hotel and someone is doing a port scan on my computer. I called tech services and they said, "yea, we have all the ports open on our router, just use a firewall". I have put the person doing the scan on my black list. I am not sure if that was the right thing to do? Is there any other procedure I can do to protect myself?

What operating system are you running? I would suggest ensuring that shorewall is installed.

If you have firewall installed, sure, it will log that someone is port scanning you. Blocking them doesn't always help, if they get DHCP assigned IP addresses, because they can just disconnect/reconnect, and have a new IP address. With firewall installed, they can port scan all day if they like. Just make sure you're secured down.

portscan happens almost everytime and its common to encounter it when you are connected to internet, since you've noticed that you are being scanned, that only means that you are protected by shorewall.. (of course you wont noticed that you are being scanned if shorewall is'nt running) just follow qchem advice, especially, make sure that sshd has been turned off if not in use...