Hangs before install menu [solved]

jethro

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to install Mandriva 2006 on my new Toshiba Satellite laptop. I've download the CD's and validated them with the md5 checksum.

When I boot from the first CD I get the menu with which I can choose between "<f1> for more options" and "<enter> for installation". When I hit enter the blue progress bars appears and I starts loading the installation menu. After that I get the blue screen with the normal background ("Free" and a pinguin) but the installation menu does not appear. I've tried 'linux noapic nolapic' but this generated the same error. With Alt-F3 I've found the following:

warning, insmod failed (ohci-hcd (null)) (-1)

warning, insmod failed (keybdev (null)) (1)

warning, insmod failed (ds (null)) (1)

CM: warning, Card Services release does not match kernel (generally harmless)

And then it stop. Perhaps there are more errors above this, but I don't know how to scroll up in the kernel message window.

Does anybody now what the problem is and how it can be fixed.

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Jethro Borsje

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, check in the BIOS for Plug and Play OS, and make sure that it's controlled by the BIOS and not Operating System.

Then, there are a few things you can do for booting if that doesn't help.

First, a few parameters are:

acpi=off

noapic

nolapic

you then pass these for booting the install, so, first I would try typing:

linux acpi=off

and see how you get on. If that fails, add one of the others to the end of the line, so:

linux acpi=off noapic

and see if that works. If not, add nolapic and see what happens. Post back with update on how you get on!

And welcome to the board :beer:

acpi=off

noapic

nolapic

He tried those already, Ian. ;) The only thing that was rather similar that I found was this entry from cooker, but no replies to it... http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/cooker-a...07/msg00001.php

I almost think that the hardware might be too new for the kernel.... :unsure:

Which Satellite model is your Toshiba Laptop?

Doh, my eyes are going :P

The only one not tried is the acpi=off, and maybe the BIOS entry for detecting hardware might help also. I have a Toshiba laptop and had problems with hardware detection, so that may help a little bit!

Off to the opticians now to sort my eyes out! :D

acpi=off

noapic

nolapic

He tried those already, Ian. ;) The only thing that was rather similar that I found was this entry from cooker, but no replies to it... http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/cooker-a...07/msg00001.php

That users gets farther then me, I'm not able to choose a language or anything like that.

Which Satellite model is your Toshiba Laptop?

The M40-277, for more information see: http://www.linuxbelgiumshop.be/en/index_de...HWLTTOS-b105857. Edited by jethro

First, check in the BIOS for Plug and Play OS, and make sure that it's controlled by the BIOS and not Operating System.
I don't see anything about this in my bios. I did already try it with a disabled integraded LAN and WLAN, but that didn't help.

you then pass these for booting the install, so, first I would try typing:

linux acpi=off

and see how you get on.

It doesn't matter :(

I already tried noapic and nolapic without any result.

And welcome to the board :beer:

Thanx! Edited by jethro

A little update. So far this doesn't work:

- linux noapic

- linux noapic nolapic

- linux acpi=off

I also tried installing with the integrated LAN and WLAN network cards disabled in the bios, this also didn't work.

I checked the CD's with the md5 checksum.

I'm able to run Knoppix from CD, so that go me thinking. How is it possible that booting Knoppix from CD works out of the box while I'm having so much trouble to install Mandriva?

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Well, try booting the second CD instead of the first one... it boots a way less agressive kernel revision.

This gives an interesting error: "No CD-ROM device found". When I hit OK Linux asks me which driver it should try to gain SCSI acces. I have no idea what to choose there. If tried picking one but then it asks what parameters to give to the kernel... I have no idea how to fix this one, does anybody else know?