Long Pause at boot-up

ianw1974

Have a little problem on my system, everything works, but I have an annoying pause for about 15-20 seconds for what seems to be no particular reason for it.

It pauses during startup at the following place:

input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse isa0060/serio1

The mouse in question is a MS Wireless Optical Mouse which is connected via the PS/2 port along with the Wireless Multimedia Keyboard again on it's own PS/2 port.

Anyone experienced this, or have any ideas why such a long pause?

Are you running harddrake and/or hotplug?

Harddrake isn't needed for most systems, and hotplug never, ever worked as it should. Factly, Cooker has already kicked hotplug out in favour of a new udev version which takes care of its duties, with the help of dbus and hal (same case as in most bleeding edge distros).

Last night I did a couple of things, disabling a few services I weren't using. One of them was harddrake. I can't remember if I've actually booted the system since, but I'll check it again tonight when I get home to see if it's any faster.

When checking services, I never saw hotplug listed, but I'll double check tonight, and post back.

Quite often it can be the service after the one it shows in which it hangs ...

It might be worth tracking down the scripts in the /etc/rc3.d directory (It might be in rc5.d also ...)

A better place to start is inspect the output of dmesg and the content /var/log/messages. Look for the lines right after that related to the mouse.

OK, this is what I have in dmesg after the input: ImPS/2 line:

input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse isa0060/serio1
SGI XFS with ACLs, large block numbers, no debug enabled
SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
XFS mounting filesystem hda1
Ending clean XFS mount for filesystem: hda1

Do you think it might be something to do with this? My /dev/hda1 partition is 19GB mounted to "/".

Further update, whilst dmesg reports SGI XFS stuff, the module that is loading after the mouse is called:

sd_mod.ko

and it's located here:

/lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/sd_mod.ko.gz

so I think this is slowing it down, rather than xfs, unless this is part of xfs. Any ideas?!?

I was in a playful mood so I renamed it, but it still paused and it also still loaded sd_mod.ko at bootup.

I have the feeling that it's compiled into the kernel. I went through all the Device Drivers/SCSI section using "make menuconfig" to try and find out what was causing it, but couldn't find anything.

I'm wondering if I should compile my own kernel or not, or just live with it. Is it OK to compile a new kernel in Mandriva? Someone once mentioned in a post that it's best not to because of Mandriva requiring loads of stuff that's in their stock kernels. So I'm not sure whether to proceed on compiling one, or leave it.

I have no problem compiling a kernel, as I've done it many a time on Gentoo.

Anyone compiled a kernel under Mandriva and experienced any problems?!?

Yes and I usually lived to regret it....

Back int he old days only 8698MB RAM was supported in the stock kernel and you had to use the enterprise kernel to get support for 1GB+

Anyway problem was the kernel-source they gave for the enterprise was not the same kernel-source THEY used to compile the enterprise kernel.

Once you start tweaking a stock kernel you get problems with things you forgot about like nvidia drivers and such ...

I could never work out why Mandriva-ke gave different source code to the one they used ... but it wasn't just one version of Mandrake it was through several.

If the support is already compiled in then that is probably the problem ... just don't try and load it as a module as well ... which means finding it in your modules and commenting it out.

I think sd_mod is the generic scsi disk device driver... this is used usually by ide_scsi as well (for CD writers) .. what did you glean from dmesg ? btw ?

Didn't glean a lot from it, no errors from what I could see. I posted what showed below the input line which related to XFS stuff, but nothing for the sd_mod.ko that was appearing between input and the xfs stuff on the bootup screen.

Effectively at bootup you get:

input ImPS/2.........

sd_mod.ko

exportfs.ko

followed by the XFS stuff. But dmesg just shows input followed by xfs, nothing relating to sd_mod.

Didn't glean a lot from it, no errors from what I could see.  I posted what showed below the input line which related to XFS stuff, but nothing for the sd_mod.ko that was appearing between input and the xfs stuff on the bootup screen.

Effectively at bootup you get:

input ImPS/2.........

sd_mod.ko

exportfs.ko

followed by the XFS stuff.  But dmesg just shows input followed by xfs, nothing relating to sd_mod.

I'm taking it this is in RL 2... what other services are starting in 2... perhaps one starts a bit earlier and only hangs after a few seconds.

The XFS mount appears clean ... what does dmesg have after that?