replace mandriva with ubuntu?

regarding slow ripping problem: I disabled Paranoia and Extra Paranoia in RipperX and in grip. Did not help ripperx speed - still around 1x to 1.3x. However, it did help grip speed - now it is ripping from 2x to 3.8x - still slow - but much better.

After I first installed ripperx (urpmi ripperx), it ripped pretty fast. I wonder what happened to it since then...? Guess I'll try reinstalling it tomorrow.

thanks !

since I have been trying KDE for the past few days, both grip & ripperx rip very fast. The problem must have been with gnome. Weird.

I don't have much experience with KDE, but I am getting used to it. All the recent gripes I had with mandriva (very slow ripping speed, audio CDs don't play, and some other gripes) are NOT problems in KDE.

I am left with the feeling the mandriva works better with KDE than gnome. In fact, I am liking mandriva quite a bit now...

Edited by null

I am left with the feeling the mandriva works better with KDE than gnome. In fact, I am liking mandriva quite a bit now...

It has been my impression that Mandriva has always been KDE centred,

well since I use it anyway (9.1>).

And because I have always disliked Gnome, it's no handicap for me.

Good Luck!

If you saved your /home from your old fedora/redhat days when you did the mandriva install, that may be the cause of some of your gnome problems in mandriva. I never like saving /home when going to a different distro as it can frequently cause problems. I just back up the data and do a clean install; it works better for me.

I'm using the ubuntu live DVD now.  Working good. 

How do you access your existing /home files when you temporarily boot with a live CD?  Or maybe it can't be done due to security purposes...?

Just go to /media (I would expect)...

If you have a seperate home partition then mount that but if not mount / and then look for home...

You might need to find the devices first using the admin tools ... sorry I got kubunbtu running and can't tell you 100% unless I log out and Im in the middle of some downloads...

If you saved your /home from your old fedora/redhat days when you did the mandriva install, that may be the cause of some of your gnome problems in mandriva. I never like saving /home when going to a different distro as it can frequently cause problems. I just back up the data and do a clean install; it works better for me.

Very true though I tend to just clear the hidden directories ... like .kde etc.

If you saved your /home from your old fedora/redhat days when you did the mandriva install, that may be the cause of some of your gnome problems

Yes, that is what I did at first. I installed mandriva over my FC4 install, and just left /home sitting there. As you say, I did have many problems. So then I backed up the stuff in /home, re-installed mandriva but this time a complete new install - formatting /home as well.

So that is what I have been working with - a fresh install with a fresh /home. So that should not be causing any problems now. Now that I am using KDE, most everything is working well, and I am pretty happy with mandriva. If I log in with a gnome session however, the gnome CD player does not work, both grip & ripperx rip extremely slow - around 1x to 1.5x. There may be other small problems while in gnome that I have forgotten.

I'm still intending to install my ubuntu 5.10 that I downloaded ... sometime soon.

btw - talking about gnome & kde reminds me of something - I am fairly new to kde, but one of the things I like about gnome is that when I insert a data CD or DVD, an icon appears on the desktop. Also when I plug in a usb stick, an icon comes up in gnome. KDE (at least the way mine works) doesn't do that. I have to double-click on Devices to get to the icons.

Similarly to remark from null about device icons, I also don't get the device icons even though I turned them on in kcontrol. I just have the "devices" icon. I don't get any icons that appear when I insert a cd or dvd. I did restart kde and even rebooted.

(This is on 2006) Is that because of the new "devices" icon?

Most likely the nonappearing devices' icons is a HAL issue.

The current dbus/hal versions (namely 0.50 and 0.5.5.1 respectively) are supposed to take care of the issue (they work great here, together with the hotplug-less udev 0.79 and pmount 0.9.6- KDE 3.5.0 under Arch Linux 0.7.1).

Since I do not use Mandriva currently I cannot know if KDE is built in Mandy with hal/pmount support or not...

• 1 month later...

Replace mandriva with ubuntu? I did it myself some weeks ago.

What I like :

- Apt-Get and Synaptic... I never was able to upgrade Kde on Mandriva. I tried all the unnoficial Repos, the tutorials and How-tos, but I always found myself reinstalling from the cd. With Kubuntu, I log in IceWM, start Synaptic, whis always point to the latest version of Kde, 1 click, and 20min later, voilà.. brand new Kde. The downloading is really faster than in Mandriva, and the choice of packages is at least as good if not better.

- Plf exist for Ubuntu.

- Nvidia ? No more command line : all in the repos : just install nvidia-glx and edit xorg.conf.

- There is a large French community, which is nice for me.

- No ''club'' : everyone have access to the same things at the same time.

What I don't like :

- The floppy won't automount.

- Longer boot time : it's beeing worked on for the next release.

- Non graphical installation : it's beeing worked on for the next release.

- Nongraphical boot...

- I miss the Mandrake control center... there supposed to port Yast to Ubuntu in the future, but that may take a while.

I would say I'm happy with the switch, but then, as always, it's a question of choice and freedom. I can't help to feel that Mandriva is, more and more, working with enterprises and towards professionals solutions, which is really nice for the Gnu/Linux OS, but not that nice for the common end-user... Ubuntu seems to me more ''desktop for the guy at home'' oriented.

Here's my $.02

I'm in the same boat as the "longtime FC" guy. I've been using redhat distros since about '94 and never had any issues like I have now with Mandriva. I've always bashed redhat because I think they believe they owned linux, and also tried to force gnome on everyone. After installing redhat the first thing I would do was to grep through /etc for "redhat" and then delete/change any references. Then I'd build the latest kernel, and feel like I had my own distro. I'd buy the redhat distros just because they always installed well and contained lots of packages for utils that I use. The time I saved was worth the price of the distro and in the end I guess I have been satisfied with the product, if not the company.

I've had Mandriva PowerPack 2006 installed for about 3 days now and have a couple of weird problems that I've never had before. Both are distro related and I'm pretty pissed off because they are stupid things that just shouldn't exist. The first problem is that the installed config is limited to just 10 pty's which is a joke(redhat, suse have 256). I've tried a few things I know about char devices to remedy the problem but the correction is wiped out on each reboot. I've posted on another forum but have yet to find the answer. The second problem is that the distro doesn't have an ftp daemon. What kind of bs is that? I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this shit soon but the time I've wasted is pissing me off.

I've tried Kubuntu, nice install, but the distro doesn't contain much and unless you are familiar with the Debian way of doing things you may get pretty frustrated having to search for and download many, many packages.