KlamAV: how to activate the Auto-Scan?

Guest Diabolicus

Guest Diabolicus

I'm a Silver member educating his 12-years-old son to look out of the Window$ they have at school Wink, so I have set up a copy of Mandriva 2006 on my son's PC, to his happiness.

Now I would be very interested in activating the Auto-Scan feature of KlamAV to prevent him bringing back home any "malware" he might pick up in exchanging Office docs and other stuff at school.

However, KlamAV tells me that, for the Auto-Scan feature to be activated, the module "dazuko" must be loaded at boot... and I have no idea how to do it! :help:

I discovered that the unfamous 'dazuko' seems to get installed by default: in fact, I found it in /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdksmp/source/rsbac/adf/daz (15 files of which one Makefile, few *.c and the rest *.h).

This said... I can only repeat that I'm lost! :wall:

Anyone having had the same experience before?

Wouldn't it be nice if this feature was installed/activated by default in Mandriva?

Thanks in advance, and a Happy New Year to you all out there!!!!! :jester:

A module is a driver (sort off). So when KlamAV tells you that the module dazuko must be loaded it means that you need to install a driver. You can install a module with the 'modprobe' command (open a console and type as root: modprobe dazuko) Different from Windows you don't need to reboot after you install a driver. If KlamAV complains just restart KlamAV. :)

To load the module at boot you have to add it to the file /etc/modprobe.preload (add dazuko to the list)

Good luck.

Guest Diabolicus
A module is a driver (sort off). So when KlamAV tells you that the module dazuko must be loaded it means that you need to install a driver. You can install a module with the 'modprobe' command (open a console and type as root: modprobe dazuko) Different from Windows you don't need to reboot after you install a driver. If KlamAV complains just restart KlamAV. :)

OK, as first attempt before modifying /etc/modprobe.preload I tried the one-time command:

[root@Dimension5000 etc]# modprobe dazuko
FATAL: Module dazuko not found.

I discovered that, in addition to /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdksmp/source/rsbac/adf/daz, there's another installation in /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdksmp/build/3rdparty/dazuko that contains 25 files (instead of the 15 of the first location).

I then considered to pass a specific 'dazuko' file to the command 'modprobe'... but which is the correct file???

Conclusion: no progress, still stuck in the dark and needing your :help: !

Guest Diabolicus
A module is always a *.ko file (in kernel 2.6 and if they come prepackaged *.ko.gz). It looks like the dazuku module is not installed. Or try this some of the suggestions from this faq:

http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwiki/i...stallation_FAQs

OK, at this point I'm forced to give up.

My knowledge of the system is far too low to even just understand what they're saying in Klamav website, let alone tampering with kernel modules and recompiling... :cry: Thanks anyway.

I remain convinced that it's a clear bug of Mandriva 2006 to supply an anti-virus software like KlamAV with a fundamental task like Auto-Scan disabled and, above all, requiring a deep technical knowledge of Linux to activate it, even more frustrating when you understand that all the pieces of the puzzle are already there... and don't know how to assemble them!

Regards from Italy.

Hello there! I have been trying to install the very same module as yourself. Unfortunately there is no module :angry: One has to re-compile the kernel with the code in the dazuko folder incorporated. I found a Howto on dazuko website and tried all they said. I successfully rebuilt the kernel, but, when I came to boot up it screwed my xorg installation. :furious3:

I finished up re-installing the whole system from scratch.

Personally I will now wait for the code to be built into the kernel. If you can find another way I would be pleased to hear about it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 7 months later...
Guest weishan

Hello:

I am just a beginner for linux. I hope that the following informaiton can help you solve your problem.

First I try

modprobe -c /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-386/kernel/fs/dazuko

(try the location at which you find your dazuko file)

Then the system works out.

Next execute

./usr/bin/klamav

( at which you install your clamav)

Now the computer should pumps up with a GUI interface

Click the tap "Auto-Scan"

Include a directory you want to scan

Then the computer should ask you to load the module. Type dazuko and give it your password.

From now on there should be no problem.

Thanks