file changed to executable

Trio3b

Using MDk10.2

Tried to ignore ping requests by setting contents of file - /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_requests from 0 to 1. (this is all that's in the file)

In the process of writing to the file, it got changed to an executable (green in console)

How do I change it back?

Have tried to CHMOD, delete as root, then replace with identical file from another MDK 10.2 PC. Won't allow. What happened?

Thanks

i dont think that is an issue even if it is marked as an executable since the only content is a single character (0 or 1). that will only be an issue if somebody cracks your machine and gets enough permission to write to that file, add some warm and fuzzy cracks and execute it.

and if im not mistaken /proc is a virtual filesystem. a reboot should reset it to the right permissions.

ciao!

Thanks, You are correct, the file returned to normal status after a reboot.

Please suggest a good port scanner to let me know if my firewall and security settings are safe. Tried Shields Up. This indicates that packets were ignored, but ping requests were answered. I don't think I want this, do I?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

it depends on your comfort zone. if you really want to cloak your machine then try playing with iptables to automatically drop ping requests to your machine. you could also try using tools like gShield or IPkungfu to do the configuration and just learn the iptable stuff details later.

ciao!