Is Linus starting something...?

Reiver_Fluffi

So, everyone tells me that linux is about choice, even on the gui side, then I come accross this:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2...r/msg00021.html

Where Linus has basically told us we should all use KDE, hmm so what happened to choice philosophy?

(Guys, I know DE's can be heated discussion, lets remember our P's & Q's)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to use KDE more than Gnome, but do dabble with Gnome occasionally.

I hate Windows Managers. Whilst I appreciate they are light and resource friendly, they just aren't easily customisable and I don't have the time to play with aesthetics :P

I don't get it. Linus expresses his preference for kde over gnome and that is anti-choice? Not really. It's his choice - he likes kde better than gnome. How does this limit anybody's choice?

Please, just tell people to use KDE.

How are you supposed to educate about choice, when Linus "the creater", one many bow down to, "apparently" tells you to just use KDE. Is that not influencing choice?

How are you supposed to educate about choice, when Linus "the creater", one many bow down to, "apparently" tells you to just use KDE.  Is that not influencing choice?

Why not. I happen to agree but am I not entitled to my opinion?

Why should Linus not be entitled to his?

There wouldn't be a problem if he was merely stating his opinion, but his remarks goes beyond that! According to him GNOME is developed by "Interface Nazis"........

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2...r/msg00022.html

Bit childish if you ask me!

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

There wouldn't be a problem if he was merely stating his opinion, but his remarks goes beyond that!  According to him GNOME is developed by "Interface Nazis"........

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2...r/msg00022.html

Bit childish if you ask me!

Possibly but Linus is just a guy.

Linux is just a kernel thing he wrote (along with some friends) that he has allowed to be used for free by anyone.

He has done quite well out of it but also he doesn't owe me or you...and if he doesn't like Gnome he is free to criticise or even I guess say parts of the kernel are not to be used with Gnome.

There is loads of crap going round between Gnome and KDE and also Gnojme and Gnome and in the end Linux made Linux for programmers not office doobies.

I realise it is a bit different but to me its like say Christopher Tolkein (in lieu of his father being dead) deciding he doesn't want LOTR rewriting to make it easier for kids. If his father had meant it to be easy to read for kids he would have written it that way! It might still be a great stroy but say he doesn't want it simplifying for the masses.

linux is a great OS and Linus is entitled to the opinion he doesn't want to see it made easy to use.

He might not want to see a GUI or he might only want a GUI that doesn't try and be too clever - really its up to him.

Personally this is a lot of what pisses me off with windows ...more than anything its the dumbing down. He is entitled to say if you want it dumbed down go and buy a Mac... if he likes he doesn't have to make it accessible.

Linus and everyone else is entitled to influence, or attempt to influence, whomever they want when it comes to their choice fo DE, particularly when that "influence" is just a statement of personal opinion. I just don't see this as limiting choice in any way. His actions don't limit choice in any way other than people might listen to his opinion and agree with him.

Also, Gowater wrote:

and if he doesn't like Gnome he is free to criticise or even I guess say parts of the kernel are not to be used with Gnome.

The linux kernel is licensed under the GPL which would prohibit barring gnome from using the kernel or any part of the kernel; that type of restriction is just not allowed under the GPL.

I suspect Reiver likes gnome and views Linus's criticisms as unfair or unfounded. If that's the case, point out how he's wrong instead of accusing him of limiting choice because that's a real stretch at best.

honestly it would be nice if they pooled resources and made 1 kick but work environment. It really sucks that the xp environment is quicker, and slicker then KDE AND Gnome...

And really I hear all the arguments about wich one is better... they are almost exactly the same (i prefer kde) but both of them have SLOW filemanagers

Anyways thats my rant about loving linux, but not having a single DE that I like...

Well, it gathered over 1000 comments on a day to a holy flame-feast a lá carde.

Personally I don't give a ¤&¤"/ what Linus say. Every time that man says something he insults, swearing and makes a riot gang look like a royal supper for the queen.

If he for once used some diplomacy to express his views he could get far....