what's using my ethernet?

neddie

gkrellm seems to be saying that there's a constant 4 or 5K/s coming in on the ethernet port. I'm curious what it is, there doesnt seem to be anything in 'top' and I'm not running anything obviously network-intensive (browser's closed, Skype's not running, BitTorrent's closed).

Is there a tool which can tell me which applications are accessing the ethernet, or maybe sniff the packets to see what they're for? It's just a (slow) cable connection, with a single modem and a single computer. Partly I'm not sure whether I should be worried about this traffic, and partly if there's something chewing my bandwidth it might be nice to kill it.

In a terminal, you could issue the command:

netstat -pantu | grep ESTABLISHED

This will show, among other things, the IP address and port number of every TCP and UDP connection, along with the Process ID and Program Name involved.

If you want to see what's listening or waiting, just issue the netstat -pantu by itself.

Thanks jboy,

There's nothing in the list with ESTABLISHED, even when I'm root. The only output from this command is:

Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2628            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      6134/0
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:10026         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      6092/master
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      5508/X
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:5335          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      5574/mDNSResponder
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      6092/master
tcp        0      0 :::6000                 :::*                    LISTEN      5508/X
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:68              0.0.0.0:*                           5768/dhclient
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5353            0.0.0.0:*                           5574/mDNSResponder

which still doesn't contain anything obvious. I'm not running remote X terminals and I can't believe that DNS and DHCP clients take many bits... Do you know what "master" is?

Do you think this is just harmless background noise? Even though it's about 20% of my maximum download capacity? :unsure:

It could be "Attacking" Systems out there trying to attack your system..

In the case with alot of internet connections nowdays since so many other computers are still infected with viruses you can get hit repeatedly by them..

Try to look at the packets coming down to your computer as it does look like you have nothing much happening on your side.

Ethereal will show you all the packages and the actual messages that are on the line..

Could be also because you have had Bittorent open and now they are checking if you are still there.. (Not sure it works this way but a guess)

I did think about the BitTorrent angle, but if I'm using DHCP then I should now have a completely different IP address from the last time I was using BitTorrent, so any traffic from that shouldn't be coming here...

I'll look at ethereal, thanks for the tip.

Just came across a nice article at linux.com about handy aliases to add to $HOME/.bashrc that has a suggested alias related to this topic: ( original article here).

Show all programs connected or listening on a network port

alias nsl='netstat -alnp --protocol=inet | grep -v CLOSE_WAIT | cut -c-6,21-94 | tail +2'

The nsl alias uses netstat to show the process ID and program name of everything either connected or listening on a network port, including the sockets of the sending and receiving hosts. It uses grep to sort through the netstat output and remove lines that match CLOSE_WAIT, so you see only programs that are listening or connected.

This is a great way to make sure no unexpected services are running in the background. To see all available information, run this command as root. The output from nsl will be similar to this sample:

root@penguin:~# nsl
Proto Local Address       Foreign Address     State       PID/Program name
tcp   0.0.0.0:771         0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      3981/rpc.statd
tcp   0.0.0.0:139         0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      3830/smbd
tcp   0.0.0.0:111         0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      2908/portmap
tcp   0.0.0.0:80          0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      4036/apache
tcp   0.0.0.0:22          0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      3838/sshd
tcp   0.0.0.0:631         0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      3582/cupsd
tcp   127.0.0.1:25        0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      3761/exim4
tcp   0.0.0.0:7100        0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      3875/xfs
tcp   0.0.0.0:445         0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN      3830/smbd
tcp   192.168.1.101:50372 66.35.250.177:80    ESTABLISHED 6585/firefox-bin

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

OK, first of all postfix - didn't even realise it was running. It was set to autostart at boot, so I've stopped it and disabled the start. Now it doesn't appear in netstat -pantu but the traffic in gkrellm is more or less unchanged.

Next, ethereal - well I got it from urpmi but when I start it from the menu I get nothing and from the CLI I get errors:

ethereal: Symbol `gsm_a_dtap_msg_rr_strings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

ethereal: Symbol `gsm_map_opr_code_strings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

** (ethereal:7099): WARNING **: radius: Could not find the radius directory

Unhandled exception ("proto.c:2923: failed assertion "(*ptr->p_id == -1 || *ptr->p_id == 0) && "Duplicate field detected in call toproto_register_field_array""", group=1, code=4)

Aborted

Yeah, whatever. Must be some conflict between rpms but I'm not wading through dependencies to find out what. Next I tried the bash alias (hey, neat trick with the alias, learnt something there!):

# netstat -alnp --protocol=inet | grep -v CLOSE_WAIT | cut -c-6,21-94 | tail +2
Proto Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program na
tcp   0.0.0.0:2628            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      6137/0
tcp   0.0.0.0:6000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      5606/X
tcp   127.0.0.1:5335          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      5672/mDNSRespo
udp   0.0.0.0:68              0.0.0.0:*                           5205/dhclient
udp   0.0.0.0:5353            0.0.0.0:*                           5672/mDNSRespo

but that's again only showing X, DNS and DHCP (and something called "0" ???

So now I'm looking at ntop, and I've got the web interface going but it's got so much information I'm not sure where to start :/ guess I've got some reading to do. At the moment it looks like a variety of sources, but I can't see what they're trying to do. Oddly when it says "Sent vs Rcvd data" for one of these random IP addresses, it says things like "Sent 48.7% Rcvd 51.3%" so it looks like I'm sending data back too :/

So now I'm looking at ntop, and I've got the web interface going but it's got so much information I'm not sure where to start :/  guess I've got some reading to do.  At the moment it looks like a variety of sources, but I can't see what they're trying to do.  Oddly when it says "Sent vs Rcvd data" for one of these random IP addresses, it says things like "Sent 48.7% Rcvd 51.3%" so it looks like I'm sending data back too :/

Could be pings and your machine replying to them?

Just came across a nice article at linux.com about handy aliases to add to $HOME/.bashrc that has a suggested alias related to this topic: ( original article here).

Show all programs connected or listening on a network port

alias nsl='netstat -alnp --protocol=inet | grep -v CLOSE_WAIT | cut -c-6,21-94 | tail +2'

You'll probably want to add that to /etc/bashrc (or your distros equivalent) - if you run it as a user you'll only see processes due to that user, run it as root to see everything thats going on.

There's some interesting stuff on that link - but aliasing something to ld is just plain stupid!!