Mandrake Move and Laptop

Guest LeeU

I have a Toshiba 7020CT Portege. I have tried MandrakeMove on it and it seems to work fine. Is this how Mandriva 10.1 would work in it? In other words, if the MandrakeMove works fine will a general installation work the same?

Any Live CD, be it Mandrake/Mandriva Move, Knoppix Live, etc, etc, will give a good indication as to whether Linux will be OK on your machine.

It's worth checking ALL your devices to make sure they are recognised, before progressing with a full installation of said OS, be it Mandriva or another distro.

If you have a fast link, try downloading the Knoppix Live CD. I think the last version they did for CD was 3.9. After that, they became DVD based, so larger iso image to download and burn :P

Link here to knoppix on distrowatch:

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribut...th=all&year=all

If you have a fast link, try downloading the Knoppix Live CD.  I think the last version they did for CD was 3.9.  After that, they became DVD based, so larger iso image to download and burn :P

They also have a CD-version of the 4.0.2-version. ;)

Thanks! That good news. There was only really one thing I couldn't get working correctly, (a network printer) but I just need to delve into it a little farther or just hook to the printer up directly.

BTW, what is "Knoppix Live"?

Thanks again!

Lee

Edited by LeeU

It's a Live-CD like Mandrake Move, but it is Debian-based

It's really great for system-recovery, imaging your harddisk, testing if your newly accquired computer is linux-capable... and just for having fun with it

Knoppix-Homepage:

http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

The best general purpose liveCD is Slax (its customization according to your tastes is really braindead as well as working perfectly), while for harddisk installation (and especially on laptops) Kanotix is very hard to be beaten.

Knoppix is great as a recovery CD, but not terribly good for HD installation.

• 4 weeks later...