KDE doesn't display cyrillic fonts

MFM

Actually what you need is the xorg-X11-cyrillic-fonts package (it's in the main repo, as a better search would have revealed to you...)- just install it via urpmi, and also after that install the package locales-ru

They still may not display properly if your system isn't by default UTF-8 enabled- you can easily turn your system to UTF-8 via MCC.

Edited by scarecrow

Actually what you need is the xorg-X11-cyrillic-fonts package (it's in the main repo, as a better search would have revealed to you...)- just install it via urpmi, and also after that install the package locales-ru

They still may not display properly if your system isn't by default UTF-8 enabled- you can easily turn your system to UTF-8 via MCC.

Here is what i got after urpmi.

[root@kim felikss]# urpmi xorg-X11-cyrillic-fonts

The package(s) are already installed

The following package names were assumed: xorg-x11-cyrillic-fonts

Could you please tell how to allow UTF-8 from MCC.

Could you please tell how to allow UTF-8 from MCC.

alt+F2

kdesu localedrake (provide root password)

There you should see an "advanced" button (the UI depends a bit on the Mandy flavour you are using), tick in the box "use unicode by default". Save changes, and reboot.

Don't forget the locales-ru package.

BTW if you have installed any unicode ttf fonts, like the free (but non-GPL) Microshaft ones, they contain cyrillic characters which can be dispalayed and used in applications.

Thank you very much for help. I can name my files in cyrillic now, the only thing is that all files that had been named in cyrillic lost their names, they just disapeared. This is a little bit strange. Previously while installation procedure i chose Russian as an installation language, but this time it was English, it seems that it affects Mandy`s configuration.

Run localedrake again, tick in unicode as before, and pick russian as main language instead of english.

The only (probably) undesired side effect will be that system messages and everything will now be in russian. MCC can't handle this issue properly, the only solution is editing the file (for mandriva, that is) /etc/sysconfig/i18n and changing some values there to en_US.UTF-8.

Since I cannot know what you would like displayed in english rather than russian, I can give hints only when I know EXACTY what do you wish as your system's default behaviour...