dual boot XP + Mandriva 2006 [solved]

michaelz92

i would like to install mandrake 2006 on my extra computer with 2 harddrives(one is full and is fat32) and the other harddrive has NTFS filesystem. I would like to run both Windows XP Professional and Mandrake 2006 on the same harddrive(NTFS filesystem 120 gb). Do i even need to partition the C:\(ntfs-120 gb)? So far, ive downloaded the ISO images(all three) for Mandriva 2006. I burned them to a disk(as image) and currently have them sitting on my desk. I would really like to install Linux soon on there except the only thing holding me back is the partitioning. Can someone please help? thanks in advance

What I've done is have a dual boot with both Operating Systems on one hard disk, but the same can be done for two hard disks.

I'd tend to put Windows on the first hard disk, therefore C:, and then have Linux on the second hard disk drive.

However, if you only have one hard disk, and want to install Linux on it, you'll need to check the disk for errors, and then perform a defrag. During the installation of Linux you can custom disk partition, and resize your original C: partition to create space for Linux.

Linux will only need a swap partition of 512MB, but you can click the auto button to get it to partition it all up for you anyway once you've resized Windows.

Note, FAT32 is readable and writeable in Linux, but NTFS is only readable. There is support for writing on NTFS but it's not very stable from what I hear/read.

In your circumstances, I recommend using the windows partitioning utiliy to create another partition on the 120G disk. Leave it empty and unformatted. Windows may need to format it, so use whatever. Then use the Mandriva install to create the partitions necessary in the empty partition. Doing it this way will keep you from having a windows headache. Linux only needs 40G for a more than adequet installation.

What I've done is have a dual boot with both Operating Systems on one hard disk, but the same can be done for two hard disks.

I'd tend to put Windows on the first hard disk, therefore C:, and then have Linux on the second hard disk drive.

However, if you only have one hard disk, and want to install Linux on it, you'll need to check the disk for errors, and then perform a defrag.  During the installation of Linux you can custom disk partition, and resize your original C: partition to create space for Linux.

Linux will only need a swap partition of 512MB, but you can click the auto button to get it to partition it all up for you anyway once you've resized Windows.

Note, FAT32 is readable and writeable in Linux, but NTFS is only readable.  There is support for writing on NTFS but it's not very stable from what I hear/read.

waiiiiiitttt......So with NTFS harddrive i can't put files on there? So i can't make a OpenOffice Document then save it? :cry: But havent lots of people done this with Windows XP and Mandriva dual boot.

waiiiiiitttt......So with NTFS harddrive i can't put files on there? So i can't make a OpenOffice Document then save it? :cry:  But havent lots of people done this with Windows XP and Mandriva dual boot.

You can. But you either have to find ready RPM's (or compile, whatever you prefer) for Captive-ntfs, or buy the commercial paragon NTFS driver (which also has to be compiled into the kernel).

NTFS filesystem is closed source, Microsaft does not release any info about it, so you shouldn't complain that Linux does not support this FS.

You can save your docs at you Linux partitions and then use under windows Total Commander and it's ext2-3/reiser addon to get files from your Linux partitions (read only)- Linux does read natively NTFS, but does not write in there..., or create a common use FAT32 partition , which both OS'es can handle and use in R/W mode.

Edited by scarecrow

so im guessing, at this point, that i would need to find a fat32 filesystem harddrive? my spare harddrive on my extra computer(slave) is a fat32, but is quite full. I suppose i could ask if i could format, or atleast get some big stuff off it, so i could install mandriva on it..but would it be possible to install mandriva on a spare harddrive?

You can install Mandriva on whatever drive/partition you like, there is no limitation. But I'm afraid you are a bit confused: after installing to the FAT32 partition the filesystem will change to something else (ext3 or ReiserFS, whatever you choose). What you need here is a shared FAT32 partition which won't hold any system files.

Windows XP by default installs to NTFS. I'm unsure of whether you could use something like Partition Magic, to convert it to FAT32. It might cause problems.

The way I would do it, is to create the FAT32 partition first, and then install XP to that partition. This I believe is workable. However, FAT32 has a file size limit of about 4GB, therefore if you download ISO's around this size you could get problems.

The best way is have Windows XP on NTFS as small as it needs to be for your needs of installing applications etc. Then have a FAT32 partition to save all your documents to. This is both readable/writeable by Windows and Linux, and therefore a better solution than attempting to write to NTFS which can cause all sorts of problems.

Hey Mike,

From our chat on MSN, I'll put what we've discussed for fellow mub users in case they want to suggest some stuff too.

You have two hard disk drives, both 120GB. Windows currently installed on the first hard disk using all 120GB, but only has approx 11GB of used space.

Windows partition is NTFS. Second hard disk is FAT32. There are also two CD/DVD drives in the machine taking up the remaining IDE ports, therefore no space for additional hard disk without purchasing a PCI IDE controller or equivalent. Since Windows has so much space available, and Mike isn't going to install anything else on it, resizing is the best option, and using rest of the first hard disk for Linux and a FAT32 partition.

First step is to boot Windows, check the disk for errors and run a defrag. So within My Computer, right click hard disk C: and properties. Then Tools tab, and click the button to scan the disk for errors. Choose automatically fix errors. It will need to reboot to complete the scan, but it will ask if you want to do this during reboot, so say Yes, and then reboot system.

Now, go back to the properties, Tools again, second button down is for defrag. Click this, and let this run through. It's very important to do both these tasks for resizing the partition later.

Now, for the resizing, Mike and I talked about sizes. We figured that it would be best to leave some room on the Windows partition for additional apps that might be installed, and room for defragmentation since Windows has a problem defragging if the drive is too full. So we thought to allocate the partitions as follows:

Windows = 30GB

Linux = 30GB

FAT32 = 60GB

I realise Linux doesn't need to be 30GB but at least gives him room for downloading etc, etc, and storing stuff on the Linux partitions should he need to, as well as swap partition and installation of apps. If anyone has any views on the Linux partitioning, then please add to the post so that Mike can consider his options prior to installation.

Now, boot from the Mandriva 2006 CD/DVD to start the installation process. Follow this through. On the security screen, I tend to make sure this is set to "Standard", the default is "High", but I find it restrictive, and for a desktop "Standard" is OK. Previous versions of Mandrake were always "Standard" as default. Again, if anyone wants to recommend, please do. I feel standard is good enough.

When you get to partitioning, be very very careful! We need to choose Custom Partitioning. Now in the screen that follows, you will see both hard disks listed, the first one will be listed as hda and will show the Windows partition as /dev/hda1. The second hard disk hdb will show your FAT32 partition. We don't need to worry about hdb, so we just need to make sure that hda is selected.

Now, click the /dev/hda1 partition, some buttons will allow you to resize. You can then resize this to 30GB. Choose OK once you've done this.

Now, click in the spare space on the drive to the right of the Windows partition. A Create button will appear. Click this. It will then ask for creating the size of partition. Set this to 512MB, and then choose the partition type as SWAP.

Repeat the process above, but we need to create two more partitions. One of 20GB which should be "/" and choose reiserfs for the filesystem. This is a good journaling file system. Then create another "/home" and set this to 10GB and reiserfs as well.

The rest of the space we will allocate as FAT32 in Windows later after the installation of Mandriva 2006. So now that the partitioning is complete, click continue, and continue the rest of the installation process.

You will come to a screen to choose what to install. To the top right is server stuff like apache, etc, etc. I wouldn't bother selecting anything here for now, you can install it later anyhow. For desktops, in the bottom right hand corner, I tend to install KDE and Gnome. KDE will already be selected. On the left hand side, I tend to select everything here.

Continue through the installation process. Make sure you set up a user for yourself when prompted. Do not use the root account as default. This is just used for installations of software, and other tasks. When prompted about LILO installation make sure it goes to the MBR.

At the summary screen, make sure that everything is OK. Check each item, if it is not configured, make sure it's configured. Most important is graphics card.

Linux will be set to boot as default. It will give you 10 seconds to choose Windows if you want to boot it. Any other issues, post back after installation.