problem with KBear, help please!

photoworks

i have mandriva 2006.

I am trying to setup a ftp conection to my website on the remote server with kbear.

i have entered the proper information provided by my host provider (confirmed by their technical support) but every time i try to connect i have a message telling me that the remote host have denied access to the directory.

Help Please !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't tend to use kbear, but gftp instead. Check for options on whether you are using Passive Mode FTP or Active Mode FTP. Usually I've found that problems are due to the mode you've currently got selected.

I think when I had it, I had to choose Active Mode to get it to work with the site I tried to connect to.

I don't tend to use kbear, but gftp instead.  Check for options on whether you are using Passive Mode FTP or Active Mode FTP.  Usually I've found that problems are due to the mode you've currently got selected.

I think when I had it, I had to choose Active Mode to get it to work with the site I tried to connect to.

i tried both and i have the same pb.

Have you tried another ftp program as well to find out if it is unique to kbear? Maybe install gftp and try with that.

Also, if you have a system with Windows (not suggesting Windows is better :P ), you could always try the ftp program under Windows and see if the response is any different, then check/match the settings against kbear.

Dreamweaver FTP? What the heck is that?

AFAIK Dreamweaver is a (mighty great) http editor for windoze, not FTP client. It does have an FTP module (for uploading to the http server), but it's pretty basic, with no features at all.

Kbear is both obsolete and incredibly buggy. Gftp is not much better, despite the fact that it's an old app.

I suggest using either kftpgrabber (quite new, and quite promising, unlike the most popular "kasablanca" which is included in several popular distros but it's very buggy and almost dead, before coming to any reliable status...), or Filezilla 2.1.7 via wine (it works great). There is also Filezilla 3, natively ported into Linux, but it is still buggy/prebeta, and lacking features.

Finally, there is the old (and commercial) Igloo FTP pro (the free port of it, some 5 years old, is still on the SuSE repos), but IMHO it's much inferior to kftpgrabber.

Edited by scarecrow