Permission Denied

lakelover

I'm trying to set up Samba following the step-by-step instruction on this forum. I was doing fine until I got to this step:

"Now comes the hard part, and for this we go to the Samba Configuration file. Open up /etc/samba/smb.conf and scroll all the way down to the bottom. Read the comments and select the type of share which you would like.

Then modify the examples to fit your specific needs."

When a try to open "/etc/samba/smb.conf" as root, I get the "permission denied" line. So, how do I get past this?

Jerry

First go to the run menu and type in kdesu kwrite

then open the file /etc/samba/smb.conf

if you are in a console you could try the following

su

then type in the root password then use your favorite editor

When a try to open "/etc/samba/smb.conf" as root, I get the "permission denied" line. So, how do I get past this?

Check the permissions of the file:

ls -l /etc/samba/smb.conf

If there's no permission for root then give it using the chmod command.

Thanks. . . I used Kate to access the samba.conf file. I have Samba setup, kinda, but I still haven't got the printer working and can't get our Windows notebook talking to my Linux box. The Samba portal shows on the Win box. There seems to be a problem with the password, though I've set it but I've got something haywired. SMB4K has the appropriate printer listed. In fact it has several printers from my various trials at setting up the printer. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. Any suggestions?