unable to register RPM file for modem

theoldun

Hi I am new to linux and have just installed mandriva 2005 le on my windows pc to learn. no problems with the installation but i am now trying to get the modem working, it was not found during the install. it is a connexant based hcf/pci modem so i downloaded the correct rpm file from the linuxant website, making sure that i had the correct one for my kernel, and put it on to a floppy. after booting linux i double clicked the file on the floppy drive and ok'd the installation procedure. i then got an error message-unable to register the rpm file. when i next tried to boot into linux it hung at 'activating swap partitions'. i tried using the rescue procedure on the installation cd but nothing i did allowed me to boot. i had to reinstall. i presume that i am doing something wrong but in the absence of any installation instructions i am stuck. any help will be greatly appreciated.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Welcome to the board :beer:

Did you use their website to identify your chipset? This should then ensure you get the right drivers for your modem.

I couldn't find any rpm file, so not sure what you downloaded?!?

I went to http://www.linuxant.com/

and clicked their download link, and on their main page for it, there is the option to identify your modem.

Hi

I identified the modem using the programme 'list modems for windows' and the modem string obtained by querying the modem in windows.

The linuxant file download page is only accessed after you agree the terms and conditions. I am pretty sure that I have the correct driver file for my modem.

Can you post what modem model it actually listed? This will help us solve your problem.

Also, please post the output from:

uname -a

so that we can see what kernel version your currently running.

the full modem string which is-PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_1033&SUBSYS_OBOE1092&REV_08- was not listed but sufficient to confirm that it is indeed an HCF type.my under standing from the linuxant website is that all the drivers for HCF modems are the same needing only a match to the particulkar kernel in use.

i cannot give you the output of uname -a as once again linuxwill not boot. this time i had satisfactorily installed further packages from the installation CD's. is there a way i can recover without reinstalling once again.

anyway i previously recorded the kernel no - 2.6.11-6mdk

It sounds like there are several problems here (at least two) and they may be unrelated. Let's try a more methodical appraoch. Linux should boot to a command line unless you have inadvertantly changed major settings, which can only be done as he "root" user. If you are running as root, I highly recommend that you create a user for yourself that has normal permissions. That way, you will learn what is fluff and was is not fluff. If there is no bootable system, whatever is wrong there may be affecting other areas, including new installations of software. Could you describe your setup? Partition(s)? Users?

We can get to the modem after we have a runnig system.

It sounds like there are several problems here (at least two) and they may be unrelated. Let's try a more methodical appraoch. Linux should boot to a command line unless you have inadvertantly changed major settings, which can only be done as he "root" user. If you are running as root, I highly recommend that you create a user for yourself that has normal permissions. That way, you will learn what is fluff and was is not fluff. If there is no bootable system, whatever is wrong there may be affecting other areas, including new installations of software. Could you describe your setup? Partition(s)? Users?

We can get to the modem after we have a runnig system.

Machine spec: AMD Duron 850Mhz on ECS/K7S5A motherboard

394Mb SDRAM

Two 40Gb hard drives - 1st has two equal partitions containing Windows XP SP2 Home edition

2nd has two equal partitions of which one is formatted NTFS, the second was free space into which Mandriva is installed. The partitions created by the install programme are; 5.85 Gb,1.07 Gb and 12.38GB.

Linux/Mandriva is version 2005LE/10.2, kernel 2.6.11-6mdk. The three installation CD's were created by burning from an ISO file found on a magazine cover DVD.

It normally boots with a graphical interface but whenever I have problems I switch to verbose mode at the initial screen so that I can follow the train of events. Each time it fails to boot it hangs at the same place, the last line reads ' Activating swap partitions.....[OK]' the curser moves to the next line, blinks for 8-10 seconds and then sometimes stops blinking or otherwise disappears altogether.

When running, the programme appears to be OK, it has recognised all the hardware with the exception of the modem and boots first time with no problems. I do not use the command line mode because as I said I am a complete beginner to Linux and it seems to me that you all talk a foreign language loosely based on English. I hope this information is of some help.

I am the only user and am not booting into 'root'

OK, I'll reverse myself here. We need to get the modem configured because without a net connection, correcting will be difficult.

Look in the windows hardware section and tell us what windows says is the brand of the modem. That is, the actual name and not an activation string.

The chip used on that modem is a typical Connexant HCF one, so you are lucky: it's supported under Linux (many winmodems aren't).

Yes thank you very much, I already have the correct Linuxant driver file . My problem is that I am unable to install it, you will see from previous that I get an error message 'unable to register RPM file'. So we are back to sqare one!