unable to register RPM file for modem

theoldun

Let's repeat the steps.

1) Unzip the file into a specific place in you /home directory

2) Open a terminal and navigate to your /home location.

3) su to root and type "urpmi file.name.rpm"

Tell us what happens. File registration can be duplicated if you are not root.

Let's repeat the steps.

1) Unzip the file into a specific place in you /home directory

2) Open a terminal and navigate to your /home location.

3) su to root and type "urpmi file.name.rpm"

Tell us what happens. File registration can be duplicated if you are not root.

I have copied the file from the floppy to my home page. I opened a terminal but have not so far been able to navigate to the file location, there have been various messages such as unable to locate the file or once I saw unable to register local files.

As I said previously I have no experience of using command lines, once I leave the GUI I might as well be in a foreign land.The only way I am able to get anywhere with installing the file is to double click the it and I am then asked if I want to install the package.

If I 'ok' that, it appears to do it but I then get the error message 'unable to register the RPM file'.

Right. You must be root in order to install anything. A little command line now and then is a good thing. I prefer gui myself, but some things are actually easier by command line. But, you can also open a terminal, type "su" and enter, type your root password, and enter. Then type "konqueror" or whatever your favorite gui file manager is. Then when you do the double click, all should go well.

I did as you suggested but when konqueror opened it displayed the Welcome message which is on the home page with the RPM file, I could not find a way to close it down and select the other file. Eventually I found the floppy drive page so I inserted the disc and doubleclicked the file. All seemed to go OK until I saw a box at the top right corner of the screen which said ' this package is already installed' followed by the usual one 'unable to register the RPM file'. I closed the root terminal and looked for the package using Mandrake Control Center under Installed Packages- it was not found! The only difference this time is that I can still boot in to Linux. Just in case I tried to set up an internet connection but the modem was not found.

The only way you might see the package in mcc is if you rebuild the urpmi database. I do not like loading anything from floppy drives. When konqueror launches, you have an option to go to "home". In this instance, it will go to home directory of the root user. Using the "up" arrow, you will be presented with the file tree of the entire system. Select /home, and then your user's home directory, which will be whatever your user is called. Then, you should be able to see the new folder you created, and inside of that the file.

Another tool that is easy to use is to type "mc" in the terminal window. You will be presented with a dosshell type program. It has enough gui to navigate easily but it does not have all the glitzy web- like stuff, which can be distracting to a new user.

I do not see how the file is installed if you were never root. I suspect we have some missing details. At this point, I would su to root, type "urpme file.name.rpm" in a terminal in order to uninstall whatever is there. Then try again with the correct proceedure.

Hello, Sorry for the delay in replying this time but once again Linux refused to boot ,hung at the same place. So I have done a clean install- zero-filled the complete hard drive, re-partitioned and re-formatted before re-installing from the CD's. I opened a root terminal, navigated to the file and doubleclicked. Immediately I got the warning message 'unable to register the RPM file' followed by the box 'this package is already installed'.This time I have been able to reboot but I am beginning to think that maybe I should call it a day and try another distro, it is a bit disheartening to have to reinstall so many times, this is the eighth time. So far my first impressions of Linux are not good!

Reinstalling linux so many times just sounds like bad cd's to me. It is possible that this has been the problem all along. But trying out different distros is a great thing to do. I think it makes linux easier to learn!