Apache web server

Slagathor

Ok, I changed it, restarted the server, then I didnt have permission for /.

I then restarted the computer, I figured I did something wrong, same thing then too.

I changed it from /var/www/html to /home/ziggy/webs. Was that correct, or might there be more I have to change??????

Guest ginkoomo

default is /var/www/html . I'm trying to set up a virtual server with 2 different directories to service the 2 sites and I cant get the server to recoginize the new locations of the document root. If I build the directory in the /var/www/html site I get the same error as if I built it anywhere in the file system. This is very weird becasue after 3 days of reading documentation and trying everything I can think off I'm not any closer. I'm ssure other peeps are having this problem, just wondering what I'm doing wrong??

I also tried just moving the document root to get that working with no virtual host, no luck there either.

BTW I'm a newbux so I'm getting through this the best I can lol

Peace

Ginko

Hmm, I could tell you exactly how to do this on windows and apache, but not on Linux. However, the theory is that same.

For every directory/site that you want to set up in Apache, you need a corresponding IP address to give. Localhost will only work for the default site. So, you need to give your network card - eth0 - a few more IP address.

Then you create the virtual directories in apache and assign each one to a different IP address. In order to access the new sites you open a browser and type in the appropriate IP.

That is that theory at least. I have done this many times in windows, but never in Linux. Hopefully someone else will be able to fill in some of the details, or show another way of doing it.

I didnt do it with Apache, I changed the directory and couldn't connect.

So I add'd the dir to Samba, and changed permissions so I could read write to the default Apache dir. from my XPee machine.....

My goal was, to be able to access the dir. and make changes from my XPee machine..........