DVD burner mounting Problem [solved]

DeeJayBump

***SOLVED***

I just bought a Lite-On DVD burner. I've already successfully burned several data DVDs with it. The Windows based PCs will recognize these discs, however I cannot get them to mount on my PC. I'm running Mandrake 10.1 Community. I have one HD, a Cd Burner and this DVD burner in this PC.

My /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto unmask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

The error I get when trying to mount the DVD drive:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc, or too many mounted file systems

I've tried the suggestions in several similar problem posts here, but none of them have worked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by DeeJayBump

Is the drive recognised by MDK? Does it only occur when you attempt to mount a disk?

One thing I'd check is harddrake running as a service? If not, this could affect it's ability to detect the new hardware.

Also, 10.1 Community had lots of problems, and was released as a bug-fixing version, which then subsequently became 10.1 Official. Is there any particular reason why you are running Community instead of Official?

What kernel version you currently running? May be worthwhile seeing if there is a later kernel release for your system that might also help. Plus, apply any updates to the system too.

ian-

The drive IS recognized by MDK. I can eject the data DVD from a terminal (eject /mnt/cdrom2) and MCC/hardrake recognizes it. The CD burner mounts fine, the DVD burner is the only one that won't mount.

Yes, Hardrake is running.

I'm running 10.1 Community simply because I haven't gotten around to upgrading to 10.1 Official.

Not sure which Kernel version I'm running. How do I check?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Edited by DeeJayBump

OK, no worries :P

From the terminal prompt, there are two ways:

uname -r (is brief version info)
uname -a (full info)

then, type:

su (supply root pwd when prompted)
urpmi kernel

this will list available kernels you can upgrade to, normally best to go with similar naming but version number different to what you currently have. Eg: 10.1 Official was kernel-2.6.8.1-12 and I upgraded to kernel-2.6.8.1.24.

Make sure you have your easyurpmi sources added, as you may not be able to find latest kernel otherwise.

If, and a BIG if, should the new installation of the kernel not allow the system to boot, DO NOT remove it after booting with the old kernel.

I did this once, and my system never booted again afterwards. However, this only ever happened once to me, as my system was partially upgraded between 10.1 Official and LE2005, and I did it, and trashed it. However, after, when the system was fully upgraded it worked fine. Never had a problem since.

You should be OK, but thought I'd make you aware of this, just in case :P

I would suggest, if and when you get time, to upgrade your system. Community did have a lot of bugs. I thought updating the kernel would be a good shot.

If you are in the GUI (KDE), run Install Software, and filter on kernel, and see if there is a later version than 2.6.8.1-10. If not, it could be no more releases have been made for Community.

10.1 Official updates stop shortly either this month or next month. LE2005 updates finish April next year, and 2006 is almost released to the public so will have updates for a long while yet, but could have a lot of updates over the next couple of months whilst it fully settles in.

The only other thing I could think of is whether your system is running devfsd or udev for it's device management. You can check this with:

chkconfig --list devfsd (or udev)

and see what comes back. devfsd is unsupported now, but I would expect if using 2.6.8 kernel, that you should be using udev.

You're right, though, I should update/install 10.1 Official. In order to do that, though, I have to backup ~120Gig of data. My only means of backing up for the moment if to burn to DVD, and if I can't be certain that after the upgrade to 10.1 Offical that my DVDs can be mounted and that data restored...

No, you won't lost any data. Updating should be fine, it's just a later version of the existing 2.6.8 kernel.

However, you'll need to install the corresponding kernel-source if you have a kernel-source installed now.

It's found in /usr/src.