DVD burner mounting Problem [solved]

DeeJayBump

Yep, I'm running the newer kernel. In fact, upon reboot, the older kernel version as well as the newer kernel version were listed as boot options in LILO, and I chose the newest version.

After booting up, I checked from a terminal to be sure, and it's running the 2.6.8.1.24 version.

There's probably something simple that I'm overlooking, or something I did that's causing this issue.

Thanks again for your help, ian.

Edited by DeeJayBump

Before i call it a night, here's my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

the DVD burner is /dev/hdc or /mnt/cdrom2

Does anything look wrong in my /etc/fstab?

This is what my CD-Writer says in my fstab:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-15,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

Note it's slightly different. Might be worthwhile mirroring your DVD one to look like mine, and see if it helps, so yours would be:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-15,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

I'm not sure whether you need to change the iocharset value or not. You can try both values and see if it works or not. As I said, mine is a CD-Writer, I would have to build a system at home to check what it would be for my DVD-Writer.

Note it's slightly different. Might be worthwhile mirroring your DVD one to look like mine, and see if it helps, so yours would be:

ianw1974

Thank you.

This worked. Now data and movie DVDs will mount.

In order to play movie DVDs I have to do

ln -s /dev/hdc /de/dvd but each time I reboot, I have to creat this link again to play DVD movies. How do I create this link permanently?

Thanks.

Hmm, strange one. I'll be building my system with my DVD-RW drive this weekend hopefully, but unable to answer as of now!

Someone else however, might be able to suggest a way of making sure it gets mounted permanently!

Glad at least you can use it!

This is really quite strange.

I have the following /etc/fstab line for my DVD burner :-

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

and I have no difficulty mounting DVDs to read them or burn them.

As far as I can see, my fstab looks very much like your original fstab as shown below :-

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

The only difference is the iso-8859 part which is -15 in mine and -1 in yours. I think this could be the problem but the only way to check would be to try it. If you try my line don't forget that the /dev/hd* must be changed to /hdc on your machine.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

In order to play movie DVDs I have to do

ln -s /dev/hdc /de/dvd  but each time I reboot, I have to creat this link again to play DVD movies. How do I create this link permanently?

I had a similar issue with 2005LE. The symlink must be created every time you insert the CD or DVD, the service responsible for that is called udev. According to helpful comments from the members of this forum, udev was half-broken in MDK. You may need to check if there are any updates for udev.

My solution was to enable supermount, this solved the problem, I can't remember the details, so search this forum for my solution.

I think this could be the problem but the only way to check would be to try it. If you try my line don't forget that the /dev/hd* must be changed to /hdc on your machine.

Cheers.                                  John.

John-

Here's what I've found:

using:

the DVD mounts automatically upon reboot,

while using:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

also works, but I have to mount the DVD manually.

You're right--it is peculiar.

Edited by DeeJayBump

Built my system with LE2005 today, and my fstab says the following for my DVD writer:

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

I've yet to test it, but I thought I'd post in case it may help you with your prob.....