Problems with kde-3.1.0 rpms from texstar on mandrake-9.0

Guest ndeb

I am currently using the kde-3.1 rpms from ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distribut...ake/9.0/KDE-3.1 . Here are some problems I have faced.

Problem 1: KDE misreads /etc/fstab for supermount enabled

This is not a problem of supermount since after the kernel upgrade to kernel-2.4.19.24mdk, supermount problems have gone. Its the inability of KDE to work properly with supermount enabled. When I click on the Removable media desktop icon, a window with icons for cdroms and floppy pops up. In that window, I right click on a cdrom icon, I get the eject option. This eject option does not work and gives an error message like this:

Eject /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660 failed

Obviously the /etc/fstab entry for the cdrom drive:

/mnt/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      supermount      fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd0,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,nosuid,umask=0,nodev,exec 0 0

is confusing KDE.

Now, both the following commands work just fine from the command line:

eject /mnt/cdrom

kdeeject /mnt/cdrom

Obviously, /usr/bin/kdeeject (which uses /usr/bin/eject) is working fine. This means that KDE is not reading the entries in /etc/fstab correctly.

Problem 2: KDE gives strange error messages

When I click on a desktop icon (Removable media and Trash only) it pops up the window just fine but also gives an error message:

KDEInit could not launch 'kfmclient'

This problem was not there with the 3.1rc6 texstar rpms. So far this error has been harmless. As for /usr/bin/kfmclient, it is part of kdebase (which is installed).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DragonMage,

Thanks for the link.

The CD eject problem is due to the contents of the desktop icon file ~/Desktop/Removable media/CD-ROM. The Dev= entry is wrong:

Dev=/mnt/cdrom/mnt/cdromsupermountfs=iso9660

Changing it to

Dev=/mnt/cdrom

solved the problem.

kfmclient error message solved. Solution grabbed from a post in: http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?o...pic=701&forum=7

The steps of the solution are:

right click on your desktop and make a new folder  

right click on the new folder on your desktop  

select "edit file type..." from the menu  

(opens: edit file type inode/directory)  

click the "add..." button  

(opens: choose application for inode/directory)  

type in: kfmclient  

click the "ok" button  

click on "kfmclient" in the list  

click the "move up" button until kfmclient is at the top of the list  

click the "edit..." button  

click the "execute" tab  

change "command" to: kfmclient openURL %u  

click the "application" tab if you want to change the name  

(the new name may not look right in the list)  

click the "ok" button  

click "ok" again

Folders should now open without any error message about kfmclient not being launched.

I installed the latest rpms. I deleted ~/Desktop, ~/.kde and ~/.kderc to make sure all previous settings are gone and all removable media icons are recreated. The Dev= entries are as screwed up as they were. Also the kfmclient error persists. This means nothing has improved with -3 version from texstar.

Actually, the -3 rpms are worse than the -2 rpms. I fixed the Dev entry in the desktop cdrom icon. Then I used it to eject the cdrom tray. It worked but immediately all konqueror windows froze and kdeinit took up > 90% of cpu load. I reproduced this bug 3 times (perfectly reproducible). The only way out is to kill the kdeinit process.

I also noticed that the default cdrom icon is not of type device. So I created a new cdrom icon of type cd/dvd-rom device (after right click on desktop). When I used it to eject the cd drive, it worked fine. But immediately, all konqueror windows just vanished !!

This is really very weird. These problems have also been reported to texstar and hopefully a fix will soon follow.

I'm using the most recent RPM's as of yesterday ~ 9 PM EST.

The biggest problem that I'm having involves opening Konqueror. Only folders work, not the Konqueror and Home, icons. I tried the fix metioned earlier, no luck. What's really wierd is that no matter what, a Konsole is opened, and messages are sent to it, as if I had run a console and typed konqueror. Anyone found a way to prevent it from opening up?

I also tried renaming .kde to .kde-bak and resetting everything.

Thanks,

Andrew

Guest LinuxExplorer

Well...looks like I'll try this for a 3rd time. Third time's a charm, right? There's a new release for the rpms on Texstar's site You know, after all this I've realized how MUCH easier it is to reinstall the GUI on here than it is on Windows. Anything less than a total format and reinstall wouldn't fix minor things like the errors I have on KDE. Oh, and I just noticed that under the ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.0/rpms/ directory, there's a hdlist.cz listing. I don't know who else is using that directory for a software source, but I went ahead and added it under Mandrake Control Center. Using that will be simple for the more GUI inclined even though I'm still going to use the rpm command under console. (Or whenever I'm too lazy, I'll use the Install Software option in MCC) Ok. The only thing I see that's not working is correctly is the same thing that was happening to Konqueror.

Many users who have supermount enabled (with the latest mdk-9.0 kernel update) are facing freezing problems when trying to eject the tray of an empty CD drive using the KDE desktop icons. The bug is 100% reproducible. All konqueror windows freeze when u right click on a cdrom icon and select the option eject. kdeinit takes up > 90% of CPU and remains that way. Only way out is to kill the kdeinit process. I have notified texstar already at http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?o...pic=717&forum=7 and this has been reported to the mandrake developers as well. If this does not get fixed the whole purpose of a new supermount (in the latest kernel update) is useless.

Guest LinuxExplorer

That's what I'm saying. I typed all of this text and this isn't the first thread that's happened to. There was some actual information there not too long ago. There were two others in the Offtopic forum as well.

I've upgraded to the latest RPM's. I'm still having the same console problem when I open a konqueror window. Here is the breakdown.

Folders work fine, but a konsole is opened. Any errors are outputted to the konsole instead of /dev/null (i assume?)

Opening the Home directory opens a konsole, and it says that it's loading the GL library. No window actually appears.

Control center opens up a console, shows for a second or so, then closes. Running of an eterm window works fine.

I know it has to do with the settings in the .kde directory. Renaming it fixes the problem, but somewhere one of the settings i'm changing causes this problem. Is there a setting I can change manually (text file)?

Andrew