Recovering partitions

Jza

I want to know if there any free software to recover data from a filesystem ext3, it seems either the partition table got broken or something similar.

The HD is like this:

hda1

hda5 /swap

hda6

hda7

hda8

hda9

I can mount hda1 but I can't surf in it. I cant get in any folder or inside the files.

hda6/9 are not working, at all. I want to do e2fsck.ext3 but it replied that the folder was empty.

I am running out of options, can someone here tell me how can I get this data back?

R-Studio Linux recovers data from ext2fs volumes, you have to mail the company though about its reliability when recovering from an ext3 partition...

http://www.r-studio.com/

Another annoyance of this program is that it operates under Windows, but the good thing is that unlike its windows filesystem comrades this one is free, so you won't lose much by trying.

You can also try Acronis Partition Recovery... which is quite different: It does not recover files, but whole pertition structures, and it's commercial. Surely enough it supports ext3 though.

While there may be some software, I am only aware of proprietary software used by data recovery organizations. Data recovery is quite expensive. If you are desparate, pm me and I'll give you a good company. All of my successful experiance with data recovery has been hard drive failure due to spin motor, which can be gathered by freezing the drive. File system failure does require software.

I can mount hda1 but I can't surf in it. I cant get in any folder or inside the files.

you mean, you able to see those folders.. and since you'd said you cant surf, you can't access it as regular user via browser, have you tried accessing it as root via cli?