Mandriva 2005 LE - Which package has k3b?

Guest catamaran

Guest catamaran

I was installing Mandriva 2005 LE, and I wanted to be sure that K3B was installed, but I could not figure out how to do it from the installation dialog. That dialog organizes the install into various high level choices - Desktop / Server / Graphical UI / ... - and then divides each of those into individual packages. But I couldn't figure out which package contains K3b! I scanned through every package description and installed almost everything, but at the end of it all, no K3b.

I was able to install K3B via the software package manager, but it bothers me that I was unable to select this important piece of software via during the installation.

When you are doing a Mandriva install and you are at the package selection stage, at the bottom you will see an option to view the Packages in flat or tree form then you can easily look for K3B and other items you may want to make certain to install. This is easy because the list is then in alphabetical form.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest catamaran
When you are doing a Mandriva install and you are at the package selection stage, at the bottom you will see an option to view the Packages in flat or tree form then you can easily look for K3B and other items you may want to make certain to install. This is easy because the list is then in alphabetical form.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I did what you suggested, but I still couldn't find K3B.

Guest catamaran

I just wanted to add a follow-up to my original post. There are two issues here:

1) Why is it so difficult to select individual software during installation?

2) Why is K3B (or equivalent) not included in a basic installation?

Hmm... that's strange. I've always gotten k3b in my installations, though I believe I had to select the group "Multimedia." I always do bare installs anyway though. Just do "urpmi k3b" or a search in the installation section of the MCC. Also note that in order to actually burn CDs with k3b, you'll need a few extra packages, but I believe it will warn you about that before you start burning.

Try bare installs- that way you'll know your system's pristine.

1. What is difficult with "point and click" or "urpmi k3b"??? :unsure:

2. Did you select KDE as desktop? If yes, then it should be installed by default. If not, well.. K3B is a KDE package, not a e.g. Gnome-tool (although it works in Gnome perfectly).

Guest catamaran
1. What is difficult with "point and click" or "urpmi k3b"??? :unsure:

2. Did you select KDE as desktop? If yes, then it should be installed by default. If not, well.. K3B is a KDE package, not a e.g. Gnome-tool (although it works in Gnome perfectly).

As I said, the problem is that I cannot find K3B in the install menu. As I also said, I am looking for a way to install K3B *during initial installation*.

Yes, I installed KDE as desktop.

Sorry, but it is there for everyone else during install. Either you got a bad burn or you simply failed to see it. Have you checked e.g. using the alphabetical listing? If it is hard to find the tool you are searching throught the Mandriva organizing of install packages (like e.g. "multimedia"), give the alphabetical listing a try. It always worked for me. ;)

Guest catamaran
Sorry, but it is there for everyone else during install. Either you got a bad burn or you simply failed to see it. Have you checked e.g. using the alphabetical listing? If it is hard to find the tool you are searching throught the Mandriva organizing of install packages (like e.g. "multimedia"), give the alphabetical listing a try. It always worked for me. ;)

I don't mean to waste anyone's time, I'm just trying to better understand the install process.

I checked the checksums and they look good:

bd59756895ccf0abfacf2033f0ee7518 Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD1.i586.iso

aba5615830ecf189fc143f6c91128124 Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD2.i586.iso

b95909480071f5eee7076946ae218069 Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD3.i586.iso

It is also quite possible that I have simply failed to see it, although I have been through it several times. I am looking at the install menu right now. Looking, for example, at Workstation / Multimedia Station, I see

kbear

kde-i18n-en_GB

kmultimedia-xxxx

but none of it mentions K3B. Maybe I am just blind. If someone can tell me *exactly* which package has K3B and where it appears in the menu then perhaps the whole mystery can be cleared up.

I know that the k3b rpms are on the install CDs because I was able to install it via urpmi, so perhaps I should ask this: where is the mapping between rpms and the installation menu defined? I am looking at /mnt/cdrom/media/media_info for references to k3b, but it is not clear how all of this gets translated into the install menus.

One more question. I have selected Unicode and several asian languages. Could that possibly affect the installation menus?

Thanks.

k3b installs as a default for Mandriva. I am not sure why you do not get it with your install. If perhaps you install just Gnome instead of KDE, it is possible that you would not get k3b.

There is a tic mark for selecting individual packages. It is not marked by default and must be done after the initial package selection. But again, this really should not matter since k3b installs as a default program. After marking "select individual packages" you then must choose "all packages alphabetical" on the next screen. I do not always find the packages via the "group" selection. Even the kernel sources do not show up in the development group, for some reason. You must list all packages in order to find it

I think k3b has been installing as a default since the 10 series, perhaps even with the later 9 series. All of this applies to the community versions.

During the install of Mandriva and using the flat list of packages you WILL SEE k3b shown there.

It is almost certain that it was installed. You are looking for it in the WRONG place. It has nothing to do with Multimedia. It is in the Menu it is found in System ----> Archiving --->K3B.

Cheers. John.