Mandriva 2005 LE - Which package has k3b?

Guest catamaran

Guest catamaran

I think we can put this thread to rest. Thanks to all who replied.

I went through the install again, and made sure that Multimedia was selected. Lo and behold, kb3 was installed! We will probably never know why previous attempts failed, but it seems likely that I didn't select Multimedia.

I still consider it a defect of the install process that I am unable to view and select *exactly* the software that I want, but, as several people have pointed out, doing a minimal install - followed by reboot and further package selection - is a perfectly reasonable strategy.

Edited by catamaran

That "defect" ??? does not exist. As I said in another post, that during install that ALL software packages can be seen in a simple straight forward alphabetical list if you choose it and or the group listings (which is what you used).

The options are there in front of you during the package selection all the time. The fact that during the installation, you were or are either overawed by everything or think you know so much that you do not look carefully enough is a reflection on yourself and NOT Mandriva.

Funny how I have known about this facility since I first started using Mandrake/Mandriva back over a few years now. But then again I had already acknowledged enough to myself that I new nothing about computer operating systems so I took care to note and learn and not to assume that I knew how things worked.

Guest catamaran

Hey John,

Let me see if I can calm you down a bit. I have Mandrake/Mandriva on 3 of my computers. I like it! I recommend it to friends! I'll most likely upgrade to 2006 in a few months! In fact, this was by far the smoothest install of any distro yet. But ... brace yourself ... it's still not perfect, and since I like to give feedback I posted my latest experience here.

I may not have done a good job of communicating my problem, or perhaps I still haven't understood your solution. In any case, it's not a big deal. Thanks again for your help.