ASRock 939Dual-SATA II motherboard - Ethernet Card

josk

Vendor: Ali Corporation

Description: M5263 ethernet controller

Module: Tulip

Product: http://www.asrock.com/product/product_939Dual-SATA2.htm

I have not been able to get the onboard ethernet controller working with Linux. There are a number of suggestions other places online to goto the ULi site and get their M1689 integrated chipset drivers for Linux kernel 2.6.8 that have the necessary drivers to be compiled. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work if you don't have the 2.6.8 kernel.

The Patches from ULI is probably not yet in the Kernel.

Have someone else this same problem and found the solution?

A quick google shows that you are not the only one with this particular problem. And I saw gentoo and debian also mentioned as having problems with this specific situation. Apparently the old tulip driver, which should work, does not run the controller. ALI has made some kind of modification (perhaps to accomadate Microsoft) Unfortunately, I found no new successes with this board. Google M5263 and linux to get all the notes. Sorry, it looks like a developmental problem because of whatever Ali changed.

I downloaded this driver:

ftp://www.uli.com.tw/driver/Linux_K2.6.x_Integrated132.zip

and the readme.txt inside the ethernet directory mentions that you have to do some editing in some config files for the kernel, but it is not specific to kernel 2.6.8 and then recompile the kernel and the drivers.