How to make a partiton writable?

mutazoid

How to make a partiton writable?

I have a linux partition

windows partition

and an empty partition that is readable and writeable in windows but only readable in Linux..

Any advice would be appreciated.

I know how to use terminal mode,

maybe Im just using the wrong command :(

Thanks,

Keith

(Im using mandrake 10.1)

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by mutazoid

To do that right click change in kde you need to be root.

To do that without actually going into root do the following:-

Open a console and type in kdesu konqueror, press enter then type in your root password. This will open konqueror in root mode. Using konqueror look for the partition that you want to change the permissions of and right click on it then select properties. Make your changes then click apply then close out.

Cheers. John.

so would you guys think it would be wise to format this extra partition into fat32 and share it between my linux and win xp setup?

This is only a personal computer security isnt a major concern.

Yes, especially since it's a spare partition. Many dual-booters between Windows and Linux use a fat32 partition (which is a vfat file system type in Linux) for this purpose, including me.

So, use vfat as the proper file system type for the mount command (mount -t vfat ....), or for use in /etc/fstab.

so would you guys think it would be wise to format this extra partition into fat32 and share it between my linux and win xp setup?

This is only a personal computer security isnt a major concern.

Keith

Thanks eh

I used Partition magic and re-format the NTFS with Fat32, this is a safe way since it don't delete your data. My setup is quite nice, I got a dualboot Linux/Windows system but the hd just hold the systems, windows2k syste is on NTFS but the actual program files, are on an external HD with Fat32, so all my data is readable from Widnows or Linux.

I used Partition magic and re-format the NTFS with Fat32, this is a safe way since it don't delete your data. My setup is quite nice, I got a dualboot Linux/Windows system but the hd just hold the systems, windows2k syste is on NTFS but the actual program files, are on an external HD with Fat32, so all my data is readable from Widnows or Linux.

Nice Im going to do that now.....

Okay I guess what are the benefits of NFTS vs FAT 32 ??

Keith

To do that right click change in kde you need to be root.

To do that without actually going into root do the following:-

Open a console and type in kdesu konqueror, press enter then type in your root password. This will open konqueror in root mode. Using konqueror look for the partition that you want to change the permissions of and right click on it then select properties. Make your changes then click apply then close out.

Thanks alot John that worked :D

But I dont understand what was done.

Also, its not a permanate change.

Any advice?

Thanks ;)

Keith

The only real benefits if your just talking about FAT32 v NTFS is that NTFS is supposed to be more secure in terms of restricting access to file, supposed to be faster, and supposed to be less suceptible to fragmentation unlike FAT32.

However, NTFS still gets just as fragmented anyway. If your talking about it in conjunction with Linux, then FAT32 is better, because you cannot save files in Linux to a NTFS partition. Also, I have found that if I try to copy large files from NTFS to my Linux partition, it will fail. I can only do it with FAT32 successfully.