how does it work (ADSL Ethernet)?

doody

Dear user group & scarecrow, Qchem, AussieJohn, Spinynorman..

Thanks for your advice and help on my previous question.

However, I don't know anything about ethernet/ASDL modems, but I think I'm going to buy one and get a broadband connection from my ISP. I just want to know..

How exactly does it work with an ethernet connection? What do I need to buy, which bits fit in into which bits? If I can't use a USB port, what do I use instead?

My PC has O/B (onboard?) 10/100 Mbps LAN.

STILL A PC AND LINUX NEWBIE! :juggle:

Thanks for all your help,

doody

If you can't use a USB port, then take a look at a modem with router function or (even better yet imho, cost around 60€) a modem/router combo (the latter one can connect several computers to the net at the same time, using the same connection). You set up your settings via a web-interface (webpage) in there and don't need anything else to do than plug your Ethernet 10/100 Network-card to the modem/router combo using a ethernet cable (usually provided with the modem/router).

Computer/Ethernet card||----RJ45 ethernet cable----||modem/router||----RJ11 cable----||WallJack||-->Internet

I assume that your onboard NIC is detected- check it out: Under a root console type "modprobe eth0" and if it doesn't complain about something then you're OK. Also, if you type at your console "lsmod" you should be able to see in the list a module which activates your NIC (would be nice to know the exact NIC type, so that we could also know the module name, but it isn't necessary).

You have two options: Either getting a plain DSL modem (cheaper) or a router/modem, which includes (most of the times) a dialer, DHCP server and firewall.

Which one do you prefer?