DVI-out

tyme

just wondering, does Linux work w/DVI-out? my video card has a DVI connector, and I was considering buying a flat panel which uses DVI.

would this be a safe move, and is there anything in specific I would need to do since my system is currently setup to use the VGA connector on a normal CRT?

We are all poor people here, that's why we use linux. If we have money to buy flat panels, we also have enough money to shell to m$ :P

In seriousness, DVI should work as long as the video card and the monitor is supported I think. A friend of mine has a flat panel and it works with mandrake 9.0. Of course, I'm not really sure whether he used DVI or analog for that one, but I have a feeling it's DVI. At least you can use analog for your flat panel if dvi doesn't work.

I recently bought a new TFT monitor (Hercules Prophetview) with DVI input. My graphic card (nVidia) has VGA and DVI out, so I just took away the VGA monitor and plugged in the DVI and switched on. Worked first time with no adjusments (except for changing the monitor resolution in Mandrake Control Center).

The only complaint I have is that about 50% of the time when I boot up, the monitor selects the VGA input and the screen is all garbled. All I have to do is press two buttons on the monitor to select DVI input and all is well again.

So, the short answer is, yes, it should work!

Mike

I bought a TFT and will never go back to CRTs. My panel takes up less room, uses less electricity, it doesn't lose colors like a failing CRT (I've had 3 CRT tubes or control circuitry fail). It's brighter than a CRT, there is less distortion, and I have yet to detect a situation where the graphics are less responsive than on a CRT. The picture is sharper in my opinion. I'm not getting X-rays from using it. It was more expensive, but I plan to own it longer than the year or two that CRTs typically last for me, before they start to go bad. Prices are coming down for them, so it's getting more and more reasonable as a purchase. The $350 I paid for mine will pay out in that I'm not shelling out $50 per year for refurbs...

As for Linux users being cheap,... speak for yourself. Even if I have the money, I don't want to give it to M$,... I'd rather buy better hardware with it.