office support [solved]

satelliteuser083

I do not use open-office in 10.2 because it takes so long to load (only 1ghz processor). Does anyone know of a smaller (faster?) version of a WP and a spreadsheet, both with just basic features? Alternatively, is it possible to trim open-office to a more compact form?

Edited by satelliteuser083

You can try Abiword for a word processor and gnumeric for spreadsheets.  Both are good programs.

Thanks. I managed to install gnumerics-1.4.2 from my installation DVD, which looks just what I'm after. When I tried to install Abiword using the instructions from abisource.com I was rewarded with the following output (I did an 'su -' beforehand):

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi.addmedia abisource http://www.abisource.com/downloads

/abiword/latest/Linux/Mandriva/2005/RPMS/ with hdlist.cz

using different removable device [/dev/hdc] for "Installation Download DVD

(cdrom1)"

added medium abisource

write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation

DownloadDVD (cdrom1).cz]

computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "abisource"...

http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword...2005/RPMS/hdlis

t.cz

found probed hdlist (or synthesis) as hdlist.cz

...retrieving done

examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.abisource.cz]

writing list file for medium "abisource"

built hdlist synthesis file for medium "abisource"

found 0 headers in cache

removing 0 obsolete headers in cache

write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi abiword

Some package requested cannot be installed:

abiword-2.2.9-0.1.102mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libfribidi.so.0)

Continue? (Y/n) y

[root@localhost ~]#

It looks as though it failed to install correctly, or am I just being pessemistic? Some feedback would be appreciated.

I highly recommend that you install abiword from the LE2005 repositories. It's in the contrib repository. Use the Easy-Urpmi tool listed at the top of this page if you don't have contrib configured. I don't know if it's on your DVD, but it is definitely in the contrib repository.

This way the mandriva software installation/update tools will automatically take care of your dependencies and updates for you.

I highly recommend that you install abiword from the LE2005 repositories.  It's in the contrib repository.  Use the Easy-Urpmi tool listed at the top of this page if you don't have contrib configured.  I don't know if it's on your DVD, but it is definitely in the contrib repository.

This way the mandriva software installation/update tools will automatically take care of your dependencies and updates for you.

When I tried the Easy-Urpmi tool listed, I got the message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

So I tried to install from the DVD and was told

"unable to install due to unsatisfied libfribidi.so.0"

Somewhat confusing; how come the installation from DVD failed, I would have expected everything to have been present.

Here is a mirror (or the original and we are the mirror :) ): http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

The missing file is in the libfribidi0-0.10.4-5mdk.i586.rpm in 'main'.

Sorry, still confusd!! How do I tell the mirror that I only want "libfribidi0-0.10.4-5mdk.i586.rpm" and not (presumeably) a whole load of software which, on my dial-up connection, is estimated to take over 4 hours to download.

Read the faqs for urpmi: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600. The software you need is dependent on other software (that's how linux works). You can't use a program without satisfying all dependencies.

Only solution: download the other packages with a broadband connection and burn them on a CD. Install these on your pc.