multiple screen at console

aze

Hi all!

Well when using console I have a trouble to see multiple screens.

for example:

any --help

it will show lots of lines that won't fit on a single screen (25x80 I suppose) so it take new lines and I can't read the first lines.

What should I do to solve this?

Also, how can I swicth the console resolution? (without decrease monitor frequence)

Thank you!

You can also do

| less

This gives you more of a page up / page down ability. To quit less or more, just type q to quit.

i cant verify this right now but isnt more in linux systems sym-linked to less, thus providing the catchy phrase less is more (or more is less)?

ciao!

Not in my Mandrake 9.0. More is more and less is less... err you know what I mean. I mean more is still a more command (only one page down at a time) while less is a less command (you can go up and down).

I think less is definitely a linux invention (or bash invention or something) since I just login to a SunOS account and there is no less command. Sigh sometimes linux spoils me :)

actually its good but when i tried it i was looking for something to replace hummingbird's exceed in exporting the X display to window clients. my most significant beef with it is i cant figure out how to open X applications in their own window. to me, using cygwin makes me feel im using just a dumb x-terminal console (it might be a good thing but it leaves me craving for more).

btw, i noticed that we have hijacked this misplaced thread. Moderators?

ciao!

btw, i noticed that we have hijacked this misplaced thread. Moderators?  

ciao!

true, and sorry for the hijacking --my fault--, it is placed in the wrong forum since the former post, it had to be placed in "software" or in "Terminal shell...." This things never happened in the old board :lol: :twisted:

more or less, more information about more and less follows :-)

more filename ... then <ctrl> c ... you can still see the output of the more command

less filename ... then <ctrl> c .... the screen re-sets to blank

example:

more INSTALL

<ctrl> c

still have INSTALL instructions in front of you :-)