toshiba M45-S165 Laptop WiFi Install

klipp

The HOWTO: find out what chip the wificard uses by typing: lspci -v. Use that information to find out what driver is needed. Go to the drivers website for install information. :)

However most of the time that shouldn't be neccesary since Mandriva autodetects most hardware just fine.

Hey devries, These latest Toshiba laptops come with what's called ATI RADEON Xpress 200M series Graphics chipset which also includes the Host Bridge, PCI Bridge, PCI controllers, SMBus, IDE Interface, ISA Bridge, Multimedia & USB! None of which work excepting IDE & Display! This possibly explains why, when doing the install, you have to use the "noauto" parameter. The wireless used by the Intel centrino uses the Intel IPW 2200/29i5 network driver using Atheros Communications Ethernet controller. The Intel wireless drivers won't install using MCC. Probably the more important issue here is how to get the ATI chipset to install and function correctly.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I found the correct kernel modules (SUPPOSEDLY) for the atheros wifi. They are included in the MADWIFI package. There is a How-To at: http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/doku.php?id...&rev=1123852927

These three (3) How-to's all work fine and get the atheros module installed & running on Boot-up and according to "dmesg" all is well & working ----- only one problem, try as I might, I cannot bring up a internet connection using ath0.

If anyone has success making wifi work on the Toshiba M45-S165 could you please enlighten me as to how you did it. Likewise any information on how to make the ATI chipset in this laptop would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks