USB ADSL modems

doody

Dear user group..

I want to switch from dial-up to ADSL broadband. I've been looking at modems with a view to using Mandriva L E 2005 and have seen one by Zoom (USB).

Will I have any problems setting up an ADSL modem with USB?

Is using broadband with Linux more secure from hackers etc. than using broadband with Windows?

I appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks, doody

Here I am being a nuisance again...

I bought an external modem recently only to find that my PC doesn't have a serial port. Is there a modem anyone can recomend that I can use Linux on? I have seen a Zoom Mini (model 3090) USB external modem, but I want to make sure it works before I commit.

I am having BIG problems trying to get on to the internet using Linux...

Doody :wall:

An OS is only as secure as you make it - and Linux can be made to be very secure.

In terms of ADSL modems, it's best to get one that connects via ethernet - that usually means they don't require drivers and you should have no problems.

USB modems are generally a problem as they're winmodems (so they don't have all the hardware a modem should have). It is possible to get some of them working, but I personally have no experience - try googling for linmodem is about the best I can suggest (or wait for someone who knows to post).

Sorry I can't be more help!

Get an ADSL modem that has a LAN connection and check that your Mainboard has a LAN connection as well. Try to avoid a USB connection if at all possible. No matter how much USB is used today, the ADSL usb is still cr*p and just not worth the time you have to spend trying to set it up. With LAN you are off and away in 2 to 3 minutes. With USB it is more likely to be 2 to 3 hours.

Cheers. John.

Maybe you could get a PCI card with serial output for a few dollars then you could use any number of good usable serial modems that work well with Linux or Windows. Even USB modems that do work with Linux are still a pain in the backside.

Cheers. John.