USB devices not found

homerjj

Hi i'm new to linux so go easy on me.

I have mandrake 10.1,every time i attach a USB device(pen drive/usbmodem) to the computer nothing happens.

i can't find anywhere where i can check to see if the system has detected it. Can someone help me get around this please.

Edited by homerjj

First question, do you have a via chipset? Theres an errata posted about a problem with via chipsets, the 2.6 kernel, and usb. I have all three but got the usb working (somewhat strangely, but working)

Go into MCC, configuration tools under SYSTEM, to the section on Boot configuration. Under the bootloader section you should see three options. When I check Force no ACPI or Force No local ACPI, suddenly my USB devices show up. It will reinstall the bootloader with the new config - but its painless. Reboot and see if either the usbview tool if you have it installed, or the desktop has new icons for usb devices. The pen drive might just appear on the desktop, as a sda device or harddrive device...the modem you may have to sniff around for. Install usbview if you have usb problems so you can tell at a glance whats recognized.

USB also has a tendency to hang up on boot, and if I forget and leave my flash in while switching from XP to Mdk, then ALL my icons vanish except HOME.

Isnt this fun? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

PS Im kinda new as well, so read all the postings here on related matters and youll find a wealth of info. Let us know if youre Mandy finds your USB....Good luck

No need to apologize for asking questions. In that same big ass control center, youll find (under SYSTEM...or Services? Sorry, Im not in front of my MDK box) you wanna look at the SERVICES running. If one is stopped you can start it again with a click. Im not sure if hotplug is installed automatically....you can possibly check from command line...I usually use the "locate" command....locate hotplug....and itll list all the words similar and their path. You might have to install the hotplug package.

In Linux, troubleshooting is half the fun....heh :wall:

After trying the Force No APCI, did you at least log out and return, or reboot? That usually does it for my system. Load up the cds and find the hotplug package, and usbview and try and install them....or via the urpmi updates, and see if theyre there. If theyre not, installing them wouldnt hurt. Stick around and keep checking in here, theres a lot of knowledge and info ...someones suggestion should work. In the meantime, see what happens running without the pen drive....I still dont leave it in when I boot up the 10.1...and Im thinking of unplugging my usb cd burner to prevent that booting glitch...only plug it in to use it. (Shrug)....

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button]

What button did I press that made a copy of a preceeding post and jad to be  edited to look like a normal post?  Sometimes there are just TOO MANY BUTTONS!!!!  I...I....I.....(swoons)

It depends on the skin you're using, but on the default, the Reply button is really a Quote button... :)

Hi guys

i haven't got any further really but have managed to open the USBVIEW. But i get the following message when trying to look for usb devices.

can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices

verify that you have USB compiled into your

Kernel, have the USB core modules loaded,

and have the usbdevfs filesystem mounted

how would i go about doing this?