USB devices not found

homerjj

So you do have a running USB system. Do the following:

1. Get sure hal daemon is running. You can see all daemons and their status under the "services" category of Mandrake Control Center.

2. Plug you USB stick to a normal USB port (not some funky USB hub which may not work) and then checkout your desktop for a pen icon, and/or your /etc/fstab file for some autogenerated new entry.

If nothing works, then it might be either that 1. Your mainboard is too new for Mandrake 10.1, or 2. You have USB legacy support enabled within your BIOS (it should be disabled, as well as things like "PnP OS").

Mdk 10.1 didn't use the hal daemon and its usb support was not all that good. So no point looking for the hal daemon in mcc>services. Mdk 10.2/LE2005 was the first mandriva to use hal and usb support in greatly improved as a result. I would definitely suggest a fresh install of LE2005 if you don't have a lot invested in your current setup or you could wait for LE2006 which will be out in another month or so. LE2005 was the first linux distro where usb storage devices just worked for me. If usb storage devices are important to you I would suggest an upgrade.

If you want to stay with 10.1, run this as root with the usb storage device attached and powered on:

# modprobe usb-storage

# fdisk -l

Post the output. The above should give a listing of all partitions that your system recognizes whether mounted or not. Usb storage devices are reported as scsi hard drive partitions, i.e. usually sda* for the first device, sdb* for the second device, etc. If it's detected by fdisk, you shouuld be able to craft a hand entry in fstab for it. The above also manually modprobes the usb-storage module as your lsmod output indicates it was not loaded. You also need this module loaded for usb storage devices to be detected. If you run into problems with the above, post your entire lsmod output.