Installation Problem (graphical interface?)

Guest lao

k plain and simple:

it installs

it boots

but when i have to log in i have two problems:

for one, i cant log into "root"

and:

its not a graphical interface, its one of those MS-DOS type screens (has a black background w/ white text and you have to type in commands)

it'll be something like this:

login: <any account other then root works>

password: <the password for the account>

-=if i log in, next line belof password looks (sorta) like line below=-

[$<account name>$]

(^^ not exact, but im sure if u know what im talking about then it wont be a problem)

all i want is for it to 'work' in the sense that its in a graphical interface.

(mandrake linux 10.2 or something like that)

Edited by lao

For most purposes, you won't want to log in to a graphical interface as root (I recommend not doing it at all, others have no problems) When you get to that prompt, type this:

startx

And see if the GUI starts. If it does, great.

One thing I'm concerned about is the fact that you can't log in as root via the command line. Is it giving you an error? Are you typing the password correctly (case-sensitive)?

yes im typing the root pass right its just being stupid (no offence to linux) cuz i want a working copy, but every single 'mainstream' or 'popular' i should say, versions of linux dont work on my computer (redhat, mandrake, yellow dog, suse, free bsd, etc)

***edit***

k tried the startx command

didnt work

i tried booting it in linux_nb (or whatever)

and in failsafe. in failsafe it let me login, and i tried root, it worked

but startx still didnt work.

gives some error

obviously im not supposed to have a linux os on my computer

:angry:

Edited by lao

If startx does not work, then something went wrong with the XOrg configuration, or it just was not configured.

Try and run the configuration tool (it is probably XFdrake, or xfdrake, or drakx, or drakX, I don't remember).

Yves.

yes im typing the root pass right its just being stupid (no offence to linux) cuz i want a working copy, but every single 'mainstream' or 'popular' i should say, versions of linux dont work on my computer (redhat, mandrake, yellow dog, suse, free bsd, etc)

***edit***

k tried the startx command

didnt work

i tried booting it in linux_nb (or whatever)

and in failsafe.  in failsafe it let me login, and i tried root, it worked

but startx still didnt work.

gives some error

obviously im not supposed to have a linux os on my computer

:angry:

The default install has Root as a hidden user account so, should you get the graphical display running you'll have to go into Control Center, System , User Admin, and make root a non hidden user account. Then log out and you will see the choice of root or normal user. Now that you found the root account in gui? forget it. Nearly everything can be run from a normal user by entering the root password or su -ing in command line mode. I felt stupid tho, the first time I tried to delete a mess of files and did it from the normal user, file, by file, until finding the root account. Trust me, tho, after you get into the root account? Get out and go back and make it a hidden user again. Till the next special case. The Mdk default for a hidden root account works really well at showing how little you need to get into the root account at all...good luck

If you can supply us with the text of the error message you get when you type startx (as your user), we can help you troubleshoot it and get everything working.

the error said something about the xorg config. so yea...

we need all of the error to be able to help. What video card do you have? Edited by bvc