Sharing internet connection [solved]

twn_onizuka

Just moved into mandriva; looks funky feels a bit weird...but hey...xp is FUD too...

Here's my problem, i was wondering how can i set an ICS connections (Internet Sharing Connection); cause i have a dial-up connection and another computer connected via a cross-over cable...so in theory my computer is the router...In windows it was a breeze to setup and share my internet connection via a wizard; for some reason i am struggling to do it in Mandriva....

What can i do???

• 4 weeks later...
Open Mandriva Control Center, Network and Internet, share internet connection :)

I would like to say that it worked for me, but it did not.

My server (one connected to the Internet) is running Winxp. I have been able to set up the ethernet connection.

When I go into the networking monitor I can click on connect ethernet although it is already connect (send and receive data), it starts connecting to the internet, get connected and after about 30 seconds it disconnects.

I am a newbie and I have read a lot of info and for some reason are not getting it rite. (Probably a bit slow but I have a lot of patience)

Kowash

Are you saying that Windows is the one with the internet connection and the modem, and you're wanting to get Mandriva to access the internet via the Windows PC?

That's what I gather from what you posted above, as you mentioned:

My server (one connected to the internet) is running Winxp.

or is it now running Mandriva instead of Windows?

OK, the shared internet connection will be done from Windows XP. I don't have it to hand, but what you'll need to do is this.

On your ethernet card, enable for internet connection sharing. This will reset the IP address to something like 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1), I'm not entirely sure which one it will get. Anyway, the connection will need to link with the modem, so that if a request for the internet comes in from the other machine, the Windows machine will then dial the internet unless the connection is already active.

You'll then need to set the LAN connection on Linux so that it has an IP address in the same range as the Windows XP system, and use the IP address of the Windows machine as it's Default Gateway. Therefore, in example, it will look something like follows:

192.168.1.2 (or 192.168.0.2) depending on IP range set by XP.

Subnet of 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1) again, depending on IP range set by XP.

You will of course, also have to set DNS addresses the same as the ones for your Windows XP machine, but these will be your ISP DNS Servers. If you're unsure, dialup the internet from your XP machine, and then run ipconfig /all and it will list the DNS Servers under the modem connection.

Hope that helps.

Thanks ianw1974

I have all that stuff already in place.

I can ping my linux pc from the WinXP pc effectively.

I even browse the linux pc from the winxp pc.

Unfortunately it will not ping from my linux pc.

I do not know how to browse my Win XP pc from my Linux PC

The Winxp pc is connected constantly to the internet (wi-fi)

Thanks for the help.

kowash

This sounds to me that you have the firewall enabled on Windows XP. What you need to do, is go into properties of the ethernet card, and then click the advanced button under the internet connection firewall. You will have some icmp boxes, put a tick in these to enable the icmp replies, and you should be able to ping the Windows XP box.

This sounds to me that you have the firewall enabled on Windows XP.  What you need to do, is go into properties of the ethernet card, and then click the advanced button under the internet connection firewall.  You will have some icmp boxes, put a tick in these to enable the icmp replies, and you should be able to ping the Windows XP box.

Thanx again.

There is deffinatively a change, but it is not resolved yet.

I ticked all the boxes under icmp.

The terminal window just replies to the ping with the following

From 192.168.1.103 icmp seq=5 Destination Host unreachable.

192.168.1.103 is the linux pc that I am pinging from.

It started with seq=5 and is going through all the numbers and is currently at 1275

and counting.

Thanx a mil for your help

Kowash

Do you have any other firewall software on the Windows XP PC other than the Internet Connection Firewall/Windows Firewall?

I don't know. The only thing to closest relation to it is probably my Antivirus. Antivir. It has a on-access controll for internet and e-mail etc. I stopped it totally

to test and it made no effect on the ping response.

There is no firewall (that I know of) activated on the Linux box.

Kowash

It's odd, since it seems that the Windows XP machine is not replying, which would lead me to believe some sort of firewall, be it the Windows one, or additional like ZoneAlarm or something is stopping the ping reply.

Since you can ping the Linux machine from Windows, it would mean that the Linux machine is OK. Double check on the ethernet connection, Advanced tab for Firewall, and disable it, and try again. If you have any other software you think might be responsible, disable that too. Check for any services in Windows that relate to that application, and stop the service. Just closing the app on the system tray might not do it completely.

Hope that helps!

Hi, and thanx again.

ODD, you know what is odd. :)

I always get odd things when it gets to pc's. Like no one ever gets the problems I get.

But I am full of confidence.

I know you will probably think I am stupid, missing it or just not up to it, but

I really closed my antivirus package. I switched my Firewall of and ........

I still got the same response (no ping).

In the past I used my laptop (now running linux) to connect with or without the firewall and or antivirus. People come to my house with their own pc's at least once week to connect to the internet. They connect without any problem. they ping my pc (winxp box) and they have no problem.

Hope this information can help you, help me.

I really don't know what to do next and I do appreciate you coming back to me although you must be enormously frustrated.

Kowash

Lol, no not frustrated as such, but is definitely a bizarre one :P

OK, so your friends come and they can ping your box. Which could mean you have an issue with your Linux machine then.

Try adding this to your /etc/modprobe.conf

su (and supply root password when prompted)
cd /etc
vi modprobe.conf
press "i"
at the end of the file type "alias net-pf-10 off" (without the quotes)
press "esc"
press :w (this will save the file)
press :q (this will quit vi)

Then reboot the Linux machine, and see if you can now ping the Windows machine.

If that fails, then do this next:

System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer (then supply root password)

Click the Boot option.

Boot Loader.

There are some options, choose Disable APIC first, and reboot and see if it starts working.

If not, then go back in again and Disable Local APIC as well and reboot and try again.

Let me know if that helps! :D

No it did not work.

I changed the modprobe.conf file successfully. (Although it had no effect on the response)

I went into the bootloader and the local apic and apic is already disabled (not marked) I hope I understand correctly. So, I marked one, checked if it pings. Then I marked the other one, then checked if it pings.

Unfortunately in all 3 cases I were in unsuccessful.

I still get the same response from my ping, with a bit of a difference. It always marked every odd no. outreachable. Now it is every no.

So, it does not seem it worked, but I am learning a lot about Linux. :)

:oops:

Thanx for hanging in!!!!

Kowash