Help with DSL (Damn Small Linux)

Ok I have a new problem. How in the world do I install DSL packages? lol

Haven't you ever used a Debian based distro before?

apt is the way, but I don't think this is a suitable thread to explain how apt works...

Before today I had only used Mandriva. :P Mandriva wouldn't load on this pc due to it's current RAM size, so I am using DSL. I will try using that and post what my results are in a few minutes.

As for real DSL packages from MyDSL, downloading them using the GUI MyDSL is enough, because after the download is completed, it seems that DSL automatically installs the downloaded package (the .tar.gz remains there for you to delete or keep, though).

I did not find how to uninstall a MyDSL package. However, I managed this with this method:

cd /

tar tzf tmp/icewm-xyz.tar.gz

<list of files: I check that these are ONLY files, not directories, else I pipe some grep -v after the tar command to remove the directories from the list.>

tar tzf tmp/icewm-xyz.tar.gz ! xargs /bin/rm -f

All this has to be done as root. The ! is a pipe character, but I cannot get this character right now... so... And don't forget to add some grep -v if needed so that the list output from the tar command is filtered and thereafter contains only files, not directories.

Yves.