Hi all

eric.proctor

I'm coming to try Manrdiva and give it a fair shake as I've been impressed by what many have said and the community here. I'm coming from Ubuntu, and quite honestly, it was enormously successful for me there. The only thing not configured when all was said and done was my internal media card reader on my HP zv5410 notebook. In any case, I look forward to going home tonight and giving Manrdiva the shot that it deserves, as I've put it on before, in a flurry of testing, and never quite gave it the time I think it should have, as I think it's going to be a very solid distro for me. I'm sure I'll be around. How is Mandriva's version of Gnome? I prefer gnome, and some distros really let it slide,s o I was wondering of opinions on this matter.

If you prefer Gnome then you were better with Ubuntu for sure.

But, is KDE inherently better somehow, because I used it on Suse, and it was fine. I just configured it to look somewhat like gnome. :)

I don't understand scarecrow's comment... there is nothing wrong with Gnome in Mandriva. KDE is not better - they're just different and both have strong points.

Scarecrow: please back up your statement with some justification? Ubuntu uses Gnome by default - that doesn't make it better.

Most obviously, they are always a gnome release behind compared to ubuntu. Mand* always butchered gnome in other ways, in my experience. Moving menu bars around to make it look like kde, terrible ports of their awful kde themes.

... all in my humble opinion.

Wow it takes two mins to change a theme if you don't like the default. That's hardly a reason to say it's bad. eric.proctor don't be put off, I used gnome on mandriva for months and it performed great and i didn't notice anything different either, only thing is they have a little star for the menu not a big deal and easily changable. Try it for yourself, mandriva is nice distro and has some great hardware detection.

Edited by Lowe

Wow it takes two mins to change a theme if you don't like the default. That's hardly a reason to say it's bad. eric.proctor don't be put off, I used gnome on mandriva for months and it performed great and i didn't notice anything different either, only thing is they have a little star for the menu not a big deal and easily changable. Try it for yourself, mandriva is nice distro and has some great hardware detection.

No worries, I didn't change my mind. Posts with no backing and negativity just are troll posts IMO and get ignored. I'll be installing in the next half hour!! :) Not that I didn't like Ubuntu, it was great for me. I'm just looking for a change for a bit. It's almost working too smoothly. lol.

Edited by eric.proctor

Hi eric.proctor and welcome!

There's a lot of differences between gnome 2.8 and 2.10. Mostly small things that easy going people don't notice or care about, but very picky people do notice and do want them. Hence, me Ubuntu, well....until I find the time to put fc4 over ubuntu. I need 2.10 :cheesy: I'm comfortable here having run it since beta warty, and I hate reconfiguring my desktop from a default anything.