Any Known KDE3.1 RPM's for MDK9? Texstar?

Yankee

I think we should have an MUB FAQ to answer this type of questions :)

For information about texstar, goto http://www.pclinuxonline.com

He basically packages a ton of mandrake based rpms that are very useful for those people want to get the newest packages but not crazy enough to install cooker :)

here's the page of his rpm depository

http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ontrib/texstar/

You can install synaptic which is basically an apt-get frontend for rpm based distro from his site.. he doesn't update his urpmi section since he hosed his mandrake 9 computer last year losing his gpg sigs.

As far as KDE3.1 final is concerned.. wait..I think it is just out in cooker. I am not sure how compatible the cooker packages now to regular 9.0, but you can always try to install them.

As far as KDE3.1 final is concerned.. wait..I think it is just out in cooker. I am not sure how compatible the cooker packages now to regular 9.0, but you can always try to install them.

I thought KDE 3.1 could be installed in 9.0 with no problems except for bugs in the beta KDE or even possible bugs in the final. Do you mean it needs libs or something that is only in cooker, and not part of KDE, but required by KDE?

I once had RH, forgot the version, 7.1 or 7.2, and it had KDE 2.x and I installed KDE 3.0 on it with KDE RPM's direct from their website. The official KDE 3.1 came out today, 1/28/03.

Guest jglen490

Go to KDE.org's website. There is a very clear list of what is required for compiling and running KDE 3.1, such as QT 3.1. Compiling and installing, again using KDE's instructions, should be fairly straightforward.

I thought KDE 3.1 could be installed in 9.0 with no problems except for bugs in the beta KDE or even possible bugs in the final.  Do you mean it needs libs or something that is only in cooker, and not part of KDE, but required by KDE?

Well, if you install the binary rpms used for cooker, I am 90% sure that it will require other cooker rpms to satisfy its dependencies. By the time you satisfy all the dependencies, your mandrake will be pretty much cooker, not 9.0.

Of course, you can download the src.rpm from the cooker then rebuild the rpms so that the resulting binary rpms will match your 9.0 libraries. Since I don't have an uber computer to recompile about 80 something MB of rpms, I think I'll wait for someone to do it for me, like texstar or a mandrake clubber :)

Well, if you install the binary rpms used for cooker, I am 90% sure that it will require other cooker rpms to satisfy its dependencies.

This time the other 10% is right. The cooker dependencies won't change your system that much. Yes, I have dabbled in the cooker, and yes (oh dear god yes) it can hose the perfection that is your desktop just when you get things going right.