Can't get connected to internet [solved]

Guest ronepowell

Guest ronepowell

I am one step away from FINALLY getting Mandriva 2005LE to work, and then I will be willing to part with some cash and get the rest of the software to make everything hum. However, I can't believe that I cannot connect to the internet. I have a router, and then modem. I set my network connection to LAN and DHCP (etho0). No luck. Seems strange, as windows, MEPIS, Linspire, Ubuntu, connected automatically upon install. Seems this should be a no brainer, but guess I am the one without brains. Can someone help?? By the way, except for this big hurdle, I really love the way 2005LE handles.

Edited by ronepowell

please give the ouptut of ifconfig, ifup eth0 (both as root) and the contents of your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file. also disable all firewalls for now in the mcc and check if you have ipv6 disabled.

Couple of thoughts on things I've experienced recently:

If you have a Realtek network card, go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Boot/Boot Loader and tick the Force No APIC box. If that doesn't work, tick the Force No Local APIC as well.

Another thing, disabling IPV6, add the following to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias-net-pf-10 off

and that will disable ipv6.

Then as root (type su and supply root password), run ifconfig and see what you have. Hopefully this time, an IP address, and able to get on the internet.

Guest ronepowell

I am not sure what happened, but suddenly things are working. I did, however, 'force no APIC' at the same time as I created a new connection (for about the 20th time). Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...
I am not sure what happened, but suddenly things are working.  I did, however, 'force no APIC' at the same time as I created a new connection (for about the 20th time).  Thanks for the help.

Hi, I have a similar problem with my Acer4061 and Realtek 8139. Can you please let have your the eventual settings that make the connection work? Thanks.

From every time I've encountered it, it's always been the force no apic that solves the problem.  But disabling ipv6 can also help if you get any further problems.

I have tried the "force no apic". It still doesn not connect. I want to to try "disabling ipv6" but can find the settings in "Control Center" menu. How do I go about doing it? Using CLI commands? I'm a Linux newbie with very litlle knowledge of CLI commands. Thanks in advance.

As mentioned by ianw1974, to disable IPv6 at the OS level

in /etc/modprobe.conf add the following line: alias net-pf-10 off

Sorry, I'm a newbie. The jargon is Greek to me. What are the steps to disable IPv6? Do I need to open a shell session and use CLI commands? What are the commands and steps? Thanks for your help.

Open up a terminal/shell session. Then type the following:

su (supply root password when prompted)
cd /etc
vi modprobe.conf
use page down to get to the bottom of the file
press i (will let you edit the file)

create a new line then type the following:

alias net-pf-10 off
press esc
press :w
press :q

the file has now been edited, and when you reboot your ipv6 will be disabled.

Press the End key, and then just press enter, and you'll get a new line.  Then carry on with the above info and all should be well :P

Thanks. Managed to add the line:

alias net-pf-10 off

and edit and save the file.

Reboot and still could not connect.

I'm getting really puzzled. MKD 9.0 connection works fine. MDK 10.2, connection just could be be established! I wonder what I should do next. Try another Linux distro or go back to WinXP .. :help: