Applications freezing and crashing

Rowan

Hello all

I have been useing Mandrake for about the last year - firstly 9.1, which was a little slow but totally bulletproof, and currently 10.0 Official. I have found that 10.0, well my installation anyway, is rather fragile and different things either freeze or won't open. In the last month I have had problems with the following things: Open Office, Mplayer, Control Centre, Totem, Mozilla, Epiphany and CUPS to name most of them. Sometimes the program will freeze so that I am unable to close it and start again and I am being forced to reboot my whole system just to do one small job. Sometimes things will just not open at all. I have had to reconfigure my printer and CUPS several times recently and, as a self-employed small business person, I often need my system quickly but I am becoming quite disillusioned with 10.0 and so I would like some advice (any advice) that will help me to cure these tantrums.

Any help or advice will be gratefully received but please make it simple to understand.

Rowan

PS I am still a newbie after all this time and I am happy to stay that way. To be honest I can totally understand why Windows is still so popular - it might be bloated and be as holey as swiss cheese but my bootleg copy of XP has never given me these headaches.

You can't work with a PC if you don't have some minimum understanding of it. If you don't know about Xkill no wonder you've problems with your PC. I can understand why you don't want to spend time learning how to use Mandrake. You own a business, have a family, you are busy etcetc however you will have to spend some time studying. A computer is a tool you need for business. Better learn to use it. Mandriva sells manuals. Why not buy one and read it in bed. That way you don't loose to much time. :)

Xkill: kill a program with your mouse. Press ctrl-alt-esc, see the cursor change to a skull and click on the program you want to kill.

Troubleshooting: run a program from a console and check for errors.

If you have generalized programs freezing, then you have a hardware problem. It may also be that when you retrieved linux, you did not utilize md5sum to verify the integrity of the file. Perhaps you used low quality media to burn it. Any of these can make issues in a system.

I still use windows, as well as various linux os's. I like to play. Windows is just as bad at functioning as any os. As a trouble desk support person, I experienced 3-5 issues per day in a network of only 50 work stations.

In order to troubleshoot your problem(s), we will have to be specific. Off hand, I'd start with the video driver. By the way, if the gui has problems, you can simply reboot the x server rather than the whole system. Linux isn't windows! :lol:

Another thing that could be causing programs to freeze is whether you have applied updates. Click System/Configuration/Packaging/MandrakeUpdate and then update all Normal/Bug Fixes/Security and you'll probably find that the problems will disappear.

10.0 OE worked perfectly fine for me, I then moved to 10.1 OE, and had hanging issues caused by USB devices. Updating fixed it.

Just a thought on where you could go to get a working system