Problems problems problems

I read over the tutorials on how to install tar.gz files but I'm having no luck. First of all, I downloaded the file to the desktop but it's not on there; however when I do a find to search for it, I can see it in the results box. That's very weird. Then I go to extract the file following the instructions from the 'how to' tutorial and this is what I get:

[smiley@localhost ~]$ tar -xzvf /home/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz

tar: /home/wyman/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I also tried this way:

[smiley@localhost ~]$ tar -xzvf /home/smiley/desktop/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz

tar: /home/wyman/desktop/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

I also tried using the control center as someone suggested too but to no avail. Looks like that way only find files online and not on the local drive.

What am I doing wrong now?

Very frustrated,

smiley

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

First I will tell you that everyone has a hard time at first but it gets easier and you will learn so much and you have all of us for support.

Second if I remember right you use Mandrake right? So, you won't have to install the tarball for Evolution thank God since it's on the disks and you can upmi to get it. The instructions on how to urpmi is now on this https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=26768&hl= post (I saw that one before this one) also the problem you were having above is you need to su (be root) before you can install anything.

All of this will be old hat to you before you know it.

Edited by heather1113

If it says the file doesn't exist, you are mis-typing it. The file name must be exact. Installing tarballs is really pretty easy except that there may be other files that you need to install in addition to the one you want. These are "depends." tarballs are not as good at telling you what is missing! And they cannot tell you the order inwhich to install. You have to figure that out yourself. Use urpmi. And enjoy life!

Hi lxthusdan - I'm typing the file name right. I've even copied and pasted it into the window. Something else is going on though and I have no idea what it is. I have 2 tar.gz files and I downloaded them both to the desktop. Only one is showing on the desktop and the other is not. I've downloaded the 2nd files about 10 times already and it's still not on there. However when I go to find it I can see that it was installed to the desktop. I'm trying to be very patient with Linux but I'm slowly but sure losing it. I've printed these instructions and followed them line by line and it's not working for me.

I've installed all the available updates through the software management.

Smiley

try to install using rpm, or via urpmi... installing from a source also forces you to instal thus gcc, g++ stuff. Also, you've said that you downloaded the file in your desktop but you access it onlyin your home dir,... your desktop is at /home/user/Desktop

Guys - I'm not the smartest but definitely stupid either. If you noticed in my initial post that there was a # in what I posted. That indicates that I was signed in root. I have attached a jpg file so you can see the 2 files I'm referring to and I'm reposting the path info again so you see that I'm clearly typing the info right and the files are on the desktop so I have no idea why it's not letting me install these files. I tried gzip command too and still nothing.

1st time

[root@localhost wyman]# tar -xzvf /home/wyman/desktop/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz

tar: /home/wyman/desktop/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

2nd time

[root@localhost wyman]# tar -xzvf /home/wyman/desktop/checkinstall-1.5.3.tgz

tar: /home/wyman/desktop/checkinstall-1.5.3.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

Anymore suggestions? I can't even install checkinstall to run and turn into a rpm.

Smiley

post-11894-1121144457_thumb.jpg

You do know something about tab completion don't you?

That is, press tab to complete the file name you are typing. If pressing tab doesn't do anything or point to the wrong file, that means that the file you are looking for doesn't exist in that directory.

Hello dragon and thanks for your reply. I don't know anything about tab completion but I'll try it; however you can clearly see the files I'm talking about are on the desktop from the pic I posted. These files were downloaded from different sources and I can double click on them and see that there are other files within them.

I'll give your suggestion a try.

Smiley

Smiley,

From your description, it seems that you fall into one of the simplest mistake in Linux command line use. Capitalization matters.

You see, this is what you typed

tar -xzvf /home/wyman/desktop/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz

The problem is that the directory is supposed to be named Desktop (that's right, capital D)

So try typing

tar -xzvf /home/wyman/Desktop/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz

instead.

That should work in your case.

Of course, it's a lot easier just typing

tar -xvfz Desktop/evolution-2.2.2.tar.gz

if you are in your home directory.

You can navigate there before or after switching to root. When you open your console, you will default to the local /home directory. So, launch your desktop normally and then open a console. Then su to root. Then type "cd Desktop" and then just the command without the file tree. tar will search the current directory for the file.

1) Ok guys - I finally got the file extracted to the /home directory. Now when I go to create the .rpm, it's not letting me. I can do the ./configure but the last line gives me a configure error that says: You need bison to build Evolution. What does this mean?

2) Also I'm trying to do the same for a checkinstall.tgz. It extracted fine but when I go to do a ./configure, it tells me no such file or directory. what am I doing wrong this time?

Thanks,

Smiley

Be sure to run ./configure inside the new directory, of each folder.

bison is a "depend". You need to download it and install it first before you can configure and install evolution. Welcome to tarballs! :lol: Use rpmfind.net to locate the correct version of the file. If you look at the output, it should give you the requirements. Look out! bison might in turn have some depends.

You do not need to make an rpm. Simply run "make$$make install" after configure runs without errors.