My Mandriva LE 2005 crashed...

Guest chaos

Guest chaos

Sorry... I'm not shure if i'm posting this message in the correct place...

I had a power faliture (I have no UPC) and my system crashed. At the beginning of the startup, everything is OK, and then, instead of "Starting udev..." message it hangs...

It looks like it's reading something from the hdd but nothing happens. I was waiting for about 15 minutes...

A month ago I had a same problem, and i had to reinstall the system: I wasn't connected to the Internet then. :wall:

:help:

Sorry for my bad English...

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have used both (Actually have ext3 on another linux system) and for crash recovery, reiser has always come back without failure. I have had to make some adjustments with ext3 in a crash, especially when I had a power failure in the middle of active work (four year old turned off the lights and the computer!) So I guess I would say reiser is 100% recoverable and ext3 90% recoverable.

Guest chaos

Thanks, I'll try it...

P.S. I have serious problems with my IDE controller but Mandrake 10.0 worked well... Maybe, it's from the udev? Can I try to change it to devfs?

In my opinion, no journalling file system can handle continous/frequent reboots/poweroffs.

While I was still having an overclocked Athlon XP 1700+ for my desktop, I suffered frequent poweroffs and reboots due to the bad capacitors in my motherboard and due to the bad power lines. After a few of those reboots/poweroffs, I find that no matter what Journalling File System I use, some files are always corrupted. A journalling file system helps if reboots/poweroffs are rare (maybe once a week or so), but if it is happening as much as 5 times in 10 minutes, then your filesystem will be corrupted.

So a UPS and good power supply is a must for me.

:lol2:

It's true that one can destroy any system!

I have read the horror stories of reiser here, but have been using it for years and have not encountered such horror. But, as with anything in linux, choices are the reality.