Mac OS X to Mandriva 10.2 network

Guest NosferatuD2

Guest NosferatuD2

Greetings all,

I have a Mac running OS X 10.3.9 and I have just installed Mandriva 10.2 on my (dual-boot to XP) HP laptop. The mac and the HP are networked via a netgear (RP614) 4 port hub with ADSL modem input. What is the best way for me to be able to use Konqueror to copy files between the 2 machines? What is my best bet regarding protocals?

Any help/tips/gotcha's/info would be greatly appreciated. I've had years of experience with Mac's, a little bit of ex. with command line unix but no gui (KDE) lunix experience. The mac runs KDE but most of the stuff is not that stable so I've set it up on the laptop.

NosferatuD2

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Samba is not a good way because you're using a Windows protocol for two Unix boxes to talk. Silly.

Instead, use whatever you would use in Linux! I use scp over ssh personally, that is the quickest and the easiest, but you can also use rsync, nfs shares, etc.

Remember that OSX is a Unix, like Linux, and they share a lot of tools ;)

If you need help with scp lemme know.

I'd have to echo scp, it's always worked for me. If you turn on remote access on the mac it'll start the necessary services for you to connect with madriva. As I don't use KDE I'm not sure if there's scp/sftp support built into konqueror or not.

Samba is not a good way because you're using a Windows protocol for two Unix boxes to talk. Silly.

Instead, use whatever you would use in Linux! I use scp over ssh personally, that is the quickest and the easiest, but you can also use rsync, nfs shares, etc.

Remember that OSX is a Unix, like Linux, and they share a lot of tools ;)

If you need help with scp lemme know.

What about rendevous or zeroconf?

Mandrake was making a lot of noise about instant networking with mandrake 9.1 machines using the zercoconf protocol.

Any thoughts?

I don't know much about it - but since scp and ssh are defaultly installed on Mandriva and on OSX I doubt you'd find a quicker way to transfer files. Just open up shh on the target box, and from the source open a terminal and hack in:

$ scp filename username@targetip:/directory/

Et voila.

sftp protocol is available in konqueror. At least in my Mandriva 2005 LE.

Now, there is this protocol named fish. Seems to be similar to ssh. Try it, maybe you can use it.

What about WebDav? is WebDav available through Fink?