Major problem when changing screen size

Pepse

To start I have MD LE 2005 and it has been pretty good except for this problem of changing screensize, going from 800X600 to 1024X768. When doing so I naturally have to re-boot for it to take effect. When it re-boots it takes me to the console whereas I have to login. So I did that but I have no clue what to do there because I tried to goto "XFdrake --expert" and there ain't no such place anymore; I know now that it is Xorg or something like that now. So, I eneded up re-installing Mandriva 10.2 just to get back to a GUI. I had to do this one other time when I first started using Mandiva. And the only reason I have to change screesize is to use GIMP. And no I don't have the latest (probably buggy) nVidia driver installed. Just what comes with Mandriva. I have a Interage 128 meg nVidia chipped video card. A Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ mobo. 512 megs of ram. And a AMD Athlon 1.33 CPU. I feel I shouldn't have to re-install the software just to change screensize. I am using a refresh rate of 87 Mhz which is recommended by IBM for my IBM E74 monitor. When this problem happened the first time I had a Mitsibishi Diamond PRO 17 inch monitor. Is there a work-around for this bug??

Later. Pepse.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Actually, you shouldn't even have to reboot to change the screen size. Can you tell us the result of this command:

grep -in default /etc/inittab

, and tell us how you change the screen size?

As for the NVidia driver, it's another problem entirely. At worst, you won't have "3D acceleration", that's all.

Yves.

Well for starters I go to MCC then to Hardware then to "change the screen resolution". I go that way because the aplet at the bottom right (screen resize and rotate) only goes as high as the resolution I currently run. Such as now that I have the resolution set at 1024 X 768 I can downsize the screen but can't go above 1024 X 768. Also, when I had it set at 800 X 600 I could not go higher than that. So, when I change it through MCC it mentions to reboot the computer to make the changes work. Okay here is the answer to the command yves asked me to run:

9:# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by Mandrakelinux are:

10:# 0 - halt (Do not set initdefault to this)

16:# 6 - reboot (Do not set initdefault to this)

18:id:5:intdefault:

If that says anything let me know. As for 3D acceleration I checked GLXGEARS and it works, but I am thinking that 1088.600fps might be a bit slow, but I am not sure what I should be running.

Later. Pepse.

Just wanted to be sure you were at runlevel 5 (= graphical). I would have thought that devries was on the right track, but I'm really surprised about this issue on impossible upsizing... As I never change my screen size, I was not aware of this... Good luck.

Yves

I usually don't change my screensize either but in order to be able to get the toggles at the bottom of GIMP's page that allows me to print I had to go to the 1024X768 screensize.

Devries, I went to a konsole and typed "krandrtray" and it gave me alot of "warnings" and an "Invalid entry", but other than that I guess I won't be able to make any changes in konsole. But, then again, because of all these warnings maybe I ain't getting the screen I'm suppose to get.

Later. Pepse.

Falo laf, I will answer that the next time I go to re-size the screen, which I would like to do soon, but I don't have a command to get me through when it screws up. Like, with the older vers. of MDK when I had video problems and it would put me in a console I could type " XFdrake --expert " and it would get me through with some toggling here and there. But, I see that XFdrake don't work. So what command with Xorg is similar to XFdrake --expert? Once I have an answer there I will try to resize the screen, so then when I get put in a console I can hopefully get out without having to re-install the software again.

Later. Pepse.

Well, being that I ain't having any problems right now I was able to get into XFdrake --expert. But no doubt when I try to do screenresize and get tossed back to a console I will probably NOT be able to do anything. If it happens this time I'll right down what errors transpire. I didn't before because I figured XFdrake wasn't apart of kernel 10.x.xx.

Later. Pepse.

Well, I decided to gamble and see what happens when going back to 800X600 screensize. Nothing unusual. I got a query stating that I had so many seconds to decide on keeping the screensize I selected or ignore it and it would remain the same. So, I changed it and rearreanged my icons and I'm OK. I got a feeling that if I go and change it again to 1024X768 nothing weird will happen because now that size is in the applet in the system tray.

Before I forget, does anybody here have any idea which of the newer nVidia drivers is stable?? I haven't been there in awhile because I have so many problems with their drivers. Of course that was with Kernel 2.4.x.xx . I would hope the compatibility factor is better with 2.6.x.xx .

Later. Pepse.

falo laf, I will look in to the latest driver you have and see if it like me. Of course being that I am using a different mobo it might be OK. I mainlly used Tyan mobo's but I now have a Gigabyte so who knows. Some friends in the area always figured alot my problems were because of the Tyan boards; even when I ran windoes.

Later. Pepse.