What is faster - SATA II or SATA 150?

Jet2k5

I'm curious of which one is faster. As time gets closer and closer for me to build my computer I'm trying to find out everything I can about the parts that I'm getting. So far I have a picture what distro is going to go on my 64-bit processor. So far MDK, Fedora, and Ubuntu are the main candidates.

Now it's time to ask about Hard-Drives. Which one is faster? SATA 150 or SATA II. There is this one website that shows all this but I've been googling and can't find it. Cybrjackle you gave me the link to it a couple of nights ago, if not yesterday. It was the one that was comparing 64-bit processors against Intel based ones. I think I might find what I'm looking there but I still can't find the link. So anyhow maybe one of you can answer.

Edited by Jet2k5

SATA2 is supposed to be faster, but all the people are claiming 3Gb/s isn't actually true. ;)

http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

I use SATA150 my self, but that might have been because SATA 2 wasn't out yet.

Its backwards compatible so just go with 2 if your mobo supports it, just make sure the Hardrives are sata 2 or atleast have NCQ

In theory, SATA-2 is supposed to be faster. However, in reality, we are mostly constrained with the speed of the mechanical parts of the hard drive itself. Most of the IDE based hard drive have mechanical speed of 7200 RPM (only WD Raptor has speed of 10,000 RPM I believe). SCSI hard drives can go up to 15,000 RPM. So ,as an analogy, it is no use making the speed limit 100 mph if your car can only go the maximum speed of 50 mph.

Anyway, the web site is http://www.anandtech.com It is one of the best computer tech review and preview sites I have seen (alongside ars-technica). It is I that gave it to you :)

Thanks for the posts. Yes it seems like SATA is suppose to be really good but people aren't getting the best of it. Right now I'm looking at some mobos that support it. As I was talking to cybrjackle he suggested I do searching before I buy them to make sure they work on Linux. Since it is going to be probably the ONLY OS on that computer.

I'm looking at some forums snooping around. Seems like a lot of people have issues with MSI and Linux, but not ECS :P

Stick around I'm sure I'll have some other questions, thanks for the help.

Anyway, the web site is http://www.anandtech.com It is one of the best computer tech review and preview sites I have seen (alongside ars-technica). It is I that gave it to you :)

I gave him that site on irc a few nights ago ;)

It is a very good site for hardware, that's how I picked most of my parts!

Be careful of the hardware you choose. Using bleeding

edge technology hardware results in many of the

Linux Distros not knowing how to deal with them.

SATA drives treated as SCSI devices by some MoBo's

will result in not being able to install some Distros.

My MoBo sports the Marvell Yukon Gigabyte LAN, not

understood by many Distros

In the world if Linux Distros older hardware is

beautiful.

Very true I'm searching around and around for the chipsets that I have. So far I'm looking at the Marvell LAN and it seems like with some people it work and with some it doesnt. Mepis being the one that supports most damn hardware .. don't know why.

But if you compile your own kernel, any distro should be fine ;)

I have the Marvell Yukon chipset on my mobo and because I use a vanilla kernel with the module compiled in it has worked with every distro I've tried - assuming I boot my vanilla kernel, of course.