64-bit worth it?

Jet2k5

Iphitus, shut up... I am already kicking myself in the head for going back to Indonesia since I cannot get good components for good prices anymore. AMD releases are usually half a year late in Indonesia already (no Venice and San Diego core for example), and now you are tantalizing me with AMD X2?! :)

Jet2k5

Well.. it's a lot faster installing from DVD than Internet you know :)

Besides, you cannot get Mandriva 2005 LE x86_64 edition from typical regular ftp sites. You need to be a Mandriva club member to get it. The one that is freely downloadable is a 1 disk CD iso. That's why I said that the downloadable edition is lacking since it doesn't have the things that I need. I think Cheapbytes mirror the RPM repository and then burn that to the DVD. I think I will ask a friend to buy one of those DVD and then send it to Indonesia.. the shipping will be murder, but at least it's available.

Iphitus, shut up... I am already kicking myself in the head for going back to Indonesia since I cannot get good components for good prices anymore. AMD releases are usually half a year late in Indonesia already (no Venice and San Diego core for example), and now you are tantalizing me with AMD X2?! :)

Dont worry, they're only 1500 bucks AU here :( whereas I could get a regular 64 for 350.

iphitus

Sweet! I love it when I find a good thread... that is pertinent to my quetions.

Just got done whacking a perfectly good MDK 10.1 Official to try out Fedora I386 Core 4. It was a total waste of time. I DO have a nice, clean MDK 10.1 install now though... (grin) In all honesty, the downloaded ISO's didn't test out clean. Did em at work on a T-1 and managed all four disks in one day... but errors duing the testing phase of the install... and it's very Gnome based! KDE just didn't seem to go in clean... so...

Been lookin at the Linux 64bit concept, and it seems still very immature. Going to try the CheapISO.com deal to get several versions inexpensively. Currently have the MDK 2005LE in I386 and 64bit versions, KUbunto 5.04, Fedora Core 4 i396, Fedora Core 4 x86-64, Xandros 3.01, and Knoppix 3.8.1 all on disk, on the way, for only $47.95 - and I CAN think of other things to do with my Internet connection in the mean time... (grin) Hopefully the ISOs will check out fine.

I guess that all I NEED to do is figure out a backup strategy that makes sense.

Windows XP Pro 64Bit seems to work just fine. Noticably faster than the Std XP Pro version. I haven't had probs with drivers. Hopefully the Linux versions will do as well. The "Linux" box is all nVidia based which seems to do better in my experience.

Thanks for the info on your trials. I guess that we just need to hang in there on this evolution.

L8ter...

Actually, I tried FC4 x86_64 for about a week before giving up. It's snappy, but definitely too gnome based. And multilibs add to the bloat, whether in space (hard disk) or bandwidth (downloading updates). And I still cannot find a good video player for it. 2005 LE 32 bit edition on the hand, is smooth sailing, so I went back there.

Actually, I tried FC4 x86_64 for about a week before giving up. It's snappy, but definitely too gnome based. And multilibs add to the bloat, whether in space (hard disk) or bandwidth (downloading updates). And I still cannot find a good video player for it. 2005 LE 32 bit edition on the hand, is smooth sailing, so I went back there.

cd /etc/yum.repos.d/

vi freshrpms.repo

[freshrpms]
name=Fedora Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt

yum --exclude=*\debug\* install xine xine-lib *\libdvd\* gstreamer-plugins*

;)

I did that, but all repositories only shows the 32 bit version of Mplayer. No 64 bit mplayer, just the plugins.

And I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Xine. Still won't work. It just hangs on the splash screen. While I can move it around, I still cannot do anything.

Like I said, maybe the 32 bit version of FC4 is good, but the 64 bit version is quite lacking. KDE crashes left and right whenever I changed something (like using plastik instead of bluecurve, changing the clock scheme in kicker to digital look, etc). The big plus for me in FC is the wvdial based dialer in FC. Not to mention that 64 bit makes it a lot easier to dialup using my cell phone (no disconnection compared to a couple of times in 32 bit, and a lot of times in Windows).

• 4 weeks later...

I've 64bit Cooker running on my laptop. Most of the time there isn't really a noticeable difference in speed. As for 32bit apps they install and run quite happily.

The one area were I did notice a significant speed difference was when I dumped a wave file to hard drive and converted it to ogg the 64bit version of oggenc was ~40% faster than encoding the same file on the same machine in the 32bit version of the distro.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,

a very usefull topic! it seems that for a deem n00b like me its better to run a 32-version of mdk.

I am going to get a dual core AMD, so was wondering whether

(1) 32-bit mode kernel exists for dual core

(2) if I had a dual boot system like 64-bit mode and a 32-bit one ((will set it up as here), would they be able to share my home dir?

I use ext3 filesystem, does it depend on 64/32-bit OS?