Sound not working.... [solved]

lawsonrc

I just installed Mandriva2005LE-Club-i586i, which includes KDE3.4 and came out this month. I cannot get sound to work.

My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster 16PCI. (The Intel sound card on the motherboard is disabled in the BIOS, so as not to cause confusion.)

When Mandriva boots up, it shows the sound module as es1371, which should be correct.

When I go into MCC and check hardware, the soundcard is listed as CT5880 and shows the driver module as es1371. I think these are probably correct, too, but not sure.

Any suggestion on how to get sound working?

When I installed Libranet 3.0, sound worked automatically. I don't know if this would help or not, but is there maybe a file (or files) in Libranet that I can copy over into Mandriva to make sound work? (Libranet is Debian-based, and I don't know if that affects anything concerning files or not). Just a thought.

All help is greatly appreciated.

In advance, thanks.

Richard

Edited by lawsonrc

If you didn't get any errors it probably is just a mixer problem. Open kmix (or another mixer) and adjust the settings (mute/unmute).

If you did get errors post them. (try configuring the soundcard in the MCC. If you get errors, well you know what to do :) )

Thanks devries,

The first thing I did was to open kmix and added the volume icon to the panel. I clicked to check all settings on kmix and they are fine.

I've been using KControl to test sound and tried several settings for the sound in the Hardware Tab. None have worked. Since I've been doing this the 'GUI' way, I have not seen any error messages.

Please give me a step-by-step way to see error messages and I will post them.

Richard

Many thanks, arctic, for the link. On my panel I have Terminal Sessions, which lists several shells/consoles. I opened Root Shell > password> alsaconf.

The alsaconf configured my soundcard correctly, and I think it chose the alternate driver sndl-es1371. Before my post, I had chosen this alternate driver the "GUI" way in KControl ("Configure Your Desktop"), but it didn't work.

I'm going to write this command down in my Linux notebook for future reference.

Again, thanks to all who gave suggestions, I appreciate your time and sharing.

Sincerely,

Richard