Linux World Day 3, Looks like DOlson Wins !!

Relic2K

America's Army wins it !!

* LinuxWorld, Day Three. (posted 2003-01-24 10:47:12 by icculus):

Almost everyone is hungover, no one has slept, and we're just trying to get through the day.

Surprise Number Three had a last minute show-stopper, so we're not showing it on the showfloor today, but I'll give you a teaser for now: Have a looksie.

http://icculus.org/~icculus/tmp/2003_01_19...170839_shot.jpg

--icculus.

Hey,...

In the reports I found on the various sites, there is no indication whether there will be an official release of the Linux executables for Medal of Honor,...

Is there going to be, and if so, what method (Tux Games repackage, downloadable executable and manual file dump, or downloadable installer??) ???

I saw this game on the Nintendo Game Cube on display at Walmart, and it looks really interesting (like a realistic Quake 3 type thing). The PC version should ROCK because of more precise control with a mouse/trackball than you can get with Nintendo style gamepads.

Is the game any good, or is it simply an American Publicity - everyone-go-join-the-army thing?

It was designed as a recruiting tool for the U.S Army but they've never tried to hide that fact. And they designed the game to follow the steps that a new recruit would take, you start off in boot camp as I recall etc.

I've played the windows version and it's a kickass game to play.

does this mean that a Linux installer for the Win version can/will be produced?

I really doubt that they'll box a separate Linux version. But you never know...

Anyhow, worst case scenario would be that you gotta get the data files from a Windows install, just like RTCW, unless you buy direct from TuxGames. They usually will throw together an installer that will work to get the data files. IF they do that, then the disc would prolly be $5.

I might be wrong but I think that since the US GOV is putting out the game they can't charge for it since your tax dollers have already paid for it. I got 2 copies of the windows game for free. I would think that all you would have to do is download the linux stuff from their website or ask for a linux copy in the mail. The US Army produced the thing out of their promotional budget, it was cheaper than 30 seconds of airtime during the super bowl, even including printing and shipping.

I might be wrong but I think that since the US GOV is putting out the game they can't charge for it since your tax dollers have already paid for it. I got 2 copies of the windows game for free. I would think that all you would have to do is download the linux stuff from their website or ask for a linux copy in the mail. The US Army produced the thing out of their promotional budget, it was cheaper than 30 seconds of airtime during the super bowl, even including printing and shipping.

Yeah, you're right, sorta, but I assumed he had asked about Medal of Honor.

Also, I thought that you could but America's Army on CD already? Maybe not. Most people would just download it anyhow.

Also' date=' I thought that you could but America's Army on CD already? Maybe not. Most people would just download it anyhow.[/quote']

i believe it's just downloadable, due to the previously mentioned issue of them not charging money for it.

*puke*

Ok, now that the nausea has left my system, I'm going to try this game out...

should be good for a few laughs. Discussing my personal moral dilemma's with such a game would probably fall on deaf ears.

:roll:

BTW: Where can I download the 'nix version? Can't seem to find it...

*puke*

Ok, now that the nausea has left my system, I'm going to try this game out...

should be good for a few laughs. Discussing my personal moral dilemma's with such a game would probably fall on deaf ears. 

:roll:

BTW: Where can I download the 'nix version? Can't seem to find it...

1) I understand you. But this *is* a free game, so I'll play it. It's unlikely that the US army will recruit me because of any intense brainwashing in this game, since uhh... well, I'm not in the USA.

2) You can't yet, since it's not totally done yet. Don't you worry, I'll be posting here as soon as it's out. :)